Opteron 146 IHS removal results

arfett

• 7 months later...

The real procedure of IHS removing is not so hard, you just have to have good thik knife/blade and find a good point under the IHS to start, then it takes 3 minutes, you just shouldnt be afraid of adding more pressure and power, so you can cut the IHS off the cpu.

BUT THE MOST WORTH THING IS TO INSTALL YOUR HEATSINK ON THE NAKED CPU. I MADE MY 3000+ VENICE HANDICAPED, AND NOT DUE TO THE REMOVAL PROCEDURE.

I HAVE A THERMALTAK BEETLE, WHICH HAVE TO BE INSTALLED WITH THE BOLTS AND A METAL PLATE. THE INSTALLATION REQUIRES A LOT OF PRESSURE ON THE CPU, SO IF YOU DO IT UNCAREFULLY YOU CAN DAMAGE THE SMALL CAPACITORS AROUND THE CORE, BECAUSE THEY ARE NEARLY AT THE SAME HEIGHT AS THE CORE ITSELF !

SO IF YOU HAVE SUCH BIG AND UNHANDY HSF, PUT YOUR MOBO OUT OF A CASE AND ADJUST THE HSF VERY CAREFULLY SO YOU DON'T TOUCH THE CAPACITORS(THESE ARE VERY WEAK) !

I HAVE A X2 TOLEDO AND ONE CORE IS GETTING UP BY PRME95 UP TO 62° BY 2,8 GHZ :eek2:

SO I THNIK ABOUT TO REMOVE THE IHS, BUT I AM AFRAID OF DAMAGING THIS CPU LIKE I DAMAGED THE VENICE, BUT THIS TIME IT WILL BE MORE EXPENSIVE. :sad:

IF SOMEONE KNOWS THE BEST WAY TO INSTALL HSF WITH BOLTS ON THE NAKED CPU, PLEASE DESCRIBE IT HERE. :)

If you have a XP-90 or XP-120 there is a easier way then modding the bracket itself...

just unscrew the retention clips from the heatsink and place 2 rivet washer per side...between the retention clips and the base off the heatsink...

You can get the rivet washers as any depot sore... and take the screws from the heatsink to your local hardware store and purchase 2 longer ones...

I consider this easier as it can all be undone...I have done this mod (as per CPDMF) and it works rather well...;)

If you have a XP-90 or XP-120 there is a easier way then modding the bracket itself...

just unscrew the retention clips from the heatsink and place 2 rivet washer per side...between the retention clips and the base off the heatsink...

You can get the rivet washers as any depot sore... and take the screws from the heatsink to your local hardware store and purchase 2 longer ones...

I consider this easier as it can all be undone...I have done this mod (as per CPDMF) and it works rather well...;)

By this, you mean to replace the original screws that were holding onto the clips before with longer ones, correct?