Power supply upgrade

Hi All

I am at present running an opteron at 3050Mhz.I do intend to get an ATI1900XT when funds allow but am concerned about power.Will the Tagan 480watt handle the new 1900XT or as im already overclocked am i pushing my luck?I have a FSP AX500 I can try although it appears its only 460Watts but has split 12v rails whereas the Tagan does not.I was thinking of the OCZ 520watt but can't find it in the UK at a reasonable price.Any help appreciated.

Smiffy

ATI recommends a 450w 30a PSU for single X1900 series. I have an Opteron 165 @2.6GHz and memory @260MHz 3448 vcore1.4v vdimm2.6v and X1900XTX @690/1.6GHz only with a OCZ 520 Modstream which has 28a on the 12v :)

:drool: My next purchase will be one of those babies.

Checkout PSU Calculator

This should help decide whether your PSU will be up for the job, as Mack27 mentioned, you'll need to check that your PSU kicks out the needed amps.

:drool: My next purchase will be one of those babies.

Checkout PSU Calculator

This should help decide whether your PSU will be up for the job, as Mack27 mentioned, you'll need to check what your PSU kicks out the needed amps.

Don't be mislead by those bogus "power calculators".

They are simply worthless and get more builders in trouble than you could ever know.

Here's the rub...

The calculator only cares about power at the device. Since most mass market power supplies are way over rated, you've got to cut the "real" power output almost in half just to start. Then you have to account for the fact that they are rated at an internal operating temp of 24C which is nice if your PSU is inside a refrigerator.

You have to cut the power rating by 30% just to account for lost efficiency at real operating temps.

So your 300W system will need a no name PSU with almost 700W.

That's why we recommend power supplies from reputable vendors with a track record of success.

ExRoadie

They are noob magnets! At the very least they are misleading, and in the hands of a novice, a failed build waiting to happen.
More truth from ExRoadie

Damn, here I was thinking that was a pretty good tool :confused:.

Have to confess.....my whole setup is bought around other people recommendations (from here) ;) .......and no problems so far!

Thanks all for info

Tagan 480w has 28A on 12v line.The FSP has 2 X 15A on the 12v line.Based on Mack27s setup i may just see if the Tagan is ok.Does anyone know where else i might get an OCZ520 watt in the uk apart from Microdirect.Thanks for any inf

Smiffy