Can She Be Saved?

Mist

My day isnt going to well, school was boring, drivers ed was dull, but at least i could count on my new hsf and salman heatsink arriving today. Sure enoguh it did and I went right to work assebling. Well used as3 and put together the new zalman c model with the optional fan. Everything seemed to be going well when i put it in the case i noticed that the hs was a little lose but hell it could be tightened later. Hook everything back up and powered her up. Seemed to be going fine turned on the old monitor and nothing. All my monitor did was going into power save.... So I put in my old geforce 4 powered her up and it worked like a charm. So worried id damaged the die on my 9600 i took off the new hs and took a look. It was intact and i was nervous. Tomorrow im gonna get some rubbing alcohol and clean the card top to bottom hopefull i just got some as3 somewhere i shouldnt have and it will run but im worried. Core is intact there was no smoke when i started her up no burned smell either, yet she doesnt run.....

Mist, I had the same problem when I took my TT Giant 2 off. What happened is that the thermal paste is not making good contact with the heatsink on the vga. I used Ceramique on that, but AS3 works too. What you should do, even though this takes at least an hour, take the thing apart and thouroughly clean all the surfaces. Next, apply a generous amount of thermal paste to the hs on the vid card, then put some where the heatpipe touches the big hs. Make sure you put enough in there, and then do not remove the pieces once you have them together (or it will create air bubbles causing the artifacts). That should pretty much fix the problem.