7800GT SLI with Enermax 485W

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't work it out, I read it here somewhere. I will try and find the link to back that claim up, but I'm pretty sure it was one of the MODS as I found that out while browsing all the links in the recommended PSU thread. If not a MOD, it was in one of the stickies somewhere.

I am not saying it's got oodles more amps on the +12 volt rail, and I agree with you 100% that it's power isn't limitless, it's just got a tad more than advertized is what I heard.

Hi Fum,

I understand where your coming from i think, the claims made about maximum output varies a lot from co to co & is certainly far from being a level playing field.

Have heard from some pps who know these things for example that the PCP&C max watts are very conservative as youd expect with about 50% extra.

We all know about the cheapo companies whose max watts are quoted at temperatures unlikely to be met in any pc case & therefore overstate the wattage. Am pleased for example with my own PSU where the rated max watts are taken @50C which means my max 12v of 38A is guaranteed. That or something like it may be relevent to the 520.

OCZ is a great co & the 520 atm their best psu. It's Just expensive this side of the pond :)

EDIT:Hi UncleDavid218 ,

What happened to your heatsink :) :shake:

luck :)

It was my bad for not using the quote function. My intent was to respond to Oceanborn, who already has a Powerstream 520 in his sig. I didn't mean to suggest the thread starter should get one over say a Fortron 700, or another really high watt PSU, it's just that if you already have a Powerstream, I would try it first since it is such a nice PSU.

But yeah, it was just like you said... lol, having a hard time finding where I read it though.. :( I sure hope I got my facts straight.

@ Fum -

... lol, having a hard time finding where I read it though..
Lol :) :shake: Don't u just hate it when that happens

@UncleDavid218 - Yep :)

The

this gay canary yellow picture
looked a bit like the background of the other 1 so it looked just like the cooler had gone :rolleyes:

Sorry if my memory does your pics an injustice.

cheers. :)

So, my 32A won't be enouugh? I'm not going to buy a new PSU. Other card perhaps.

Are you upset? There's no reason to be. Whatever you chose to do, it will be limited by other hardware. It’s the normal procedure to evaluate what you have and see what could be improved.

I can’t see why buying a new PSU is such a big deal, when you’re ready to buy a new graphic-card. Sell the one you have and buy a new one, and the total cost for a quality PSU will just be a small part of what a good graphic-card cost.

Strange: it looks like the PSU issue is one of the most sensitive on this forum. I don’t understand it.

And Manga, you’re system is fine; there’s no enormous gain in going SLI (it doesn’t double the performance). Anyway I hope you get satisfied with whatever choice you make.

Many newer grapics cards have reduced pwer requirements.(.9nm) Smaller transistor counts lower voltages ect. While that won't affect the recomendations. It may affect how many computers overclock in sli. Also the number of other devices will affect this too. So humm......Well see if the ocz 520 is big enough for 7900gt's decent oc's and a coupla' extra hdd's.(Fall of this year)