Sign in to follow this  
walla

CE-5 RAM and NF4 Ultra-D?

Hi!

I bought Kingston ValueRam with Infineon CE-5 Chips.

In Singlechannel-Mode the are very stable. But if I put them in the two yellow slots, the PC doesn't boot any more with the ram set on 200Mhz: The Bootlogo appears, all 4 lights on the board are switched off and the Screen don't change in standby-mode.

At 180Mhz and less everything is fine.

What could the problem be?

With the usage of the orange slots, the system boots with 200Mhz. But in Prime95 I have a error-message after some minutes:

FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4

Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

This can not be normal... :-

walla: You might simply have too tight RAM timings, and there might not be any problems with the RAM per say.

Just loosen the timings and try to get it stable at stock speeds. The bigger part of everyone who buys a new mobo (especially DFI ones) need some time to configure everything before things run as they should. There are alot of natural causes why you might experience instability. Check the Overclocking guide for more info on RAM timings.

If you are unsure of what to change etc, post your current timings (not sure if there is an easy way to do this or if you will need to write tham all down one by one) and someone might be able to give you some advice. :)

Arrangement of memory in an NF4 dual channel 939 motherboard by DFI. (not including the cheaper Infinity series).

May use one stick in the Orange slot futherest from the cpu. It will be single channel.

Sometimes may use one stick in the Orange and the Yellow slot furtherest from the cpu. It will be two stick single channel.

Never can use single stick in Orange slot closest to cpu. Will never work.

Never can use single stick in Yellow slot closest to cpu. Will never work.

In order to use memory in dual channel which is what the memory controller in the processor expects; you should FIRST put sticks in the Orange slots. This will be true for greater than 90% of ALL memories.

You may put memory in the Orange slots and run dual channel BUT you cannot put three (3) sticks of memory in the board and have it work.

Basically 1 stick Orange slot.

2 sticks using both Orange slots.

4 sticks using Orange and Yellow slots with attention to details of memory configuration settings in bios.

Those actually are the only valid memory stick combinations. Except sometimes two sticks in the Orange and Yellow slots furtherest from cpu will work as single channel only.

RGone...

If you are unsure of what to change etc, post your current timings (not sure if there is an easy way to do this or if you will need to write tham all down one by one) and someone might be able to give you some advice. :)

Everything is put on "Auto". So there should not be much that I could set wrong. Or is it better if everything is configured by hand?

Ok... I've tested a lot now, but the system is still not really stable. Can you tell me witch BIOS is better for the Infineon CE-5 ICs? One with xxx-1 or xxx-2?

Then I would try different BIOS-Versions.

The problem it's value ram and DFI are made to run performance ram

This statement is false. What DFI means by valueram is High-Density no-name IC's. The CE-5's are not high-density, but they are not meant to be overclocked to really any extent (you may be able to pull a couple of MHz outta 'em).

Your Kingston valueram is rated for 3-3-6-3 as it would appear in the bios from top down starting @ Cas Latency. There is a write up that Angry games did about memory timings (It's for the nF3 250Gb, but most of these timings should apply the same way). Do a search for it, and set those timings manually. For things like Data Drive Strength and some of the other timings that appear in the nF4 bios, you'll have to play around with yourself.

If you still have issues. Set CPC (Command Per Clock) to 2T and see if that stabilizes your system. Good luck, I hope you resolve your issues shortly.

Thank you cmay!

With the CPC set on 2T my system finaly seems to be stable. Now the RAM runs on 200MHz 2-3-3-6 in dualchannel. :-)

prime.png