Boot Problem

Hey guys, I'm hoping someone can help me out. I had a WD PATA hard drive installed with XP SP2 and everything worked fine. I purchased a WD SATA 160 GB drive and installed a fresh copy of XP SP2 on that...

So my setup is thus:

80 GB PATA HD on primary IDE channel as slave. - XP Still installed

DVD Burner on secondary IDE as master.

CD Burner on secondary IDE as slave.

160 GB SATA HD on SATA connector #1. - Clean XP install

Clean install went fine, XP and all updates were completed successfully but here is where I run into the problem. I have one of three possible outcomes when I attempt to boot.

1. WIN XP CD in DVD Burner, SATA and PATA drive connected - boots fine (windows comes up with "select OS to load screen to select one of my two XP installs). Boot sequence is set up as: CD, HD, HD. (SATA drive is selected as the first HD to boot from). I can load either build of XP succesfully (PATA or SATA drive).

2. WIN XP CD taken OUT, SATA and PATA drive connected - machine goes through POST successfully then gives me "Failure loading OS" message and does nothing else. I get this message no matter what I do (set up BIOS to choose SATA drive as first boot device or use "ESC" during POST to get to the boot menu and manually selecting which drive to boot from).

3. WIN XP CD out, PATA drive disconnected (SATA only HD connected) - machine gives same error message as #2.

So basically the ONLY way I can boot to the SATA drive is if I keep the boot sequence as CD, HD, HD and choose the SATA XP load when the 'chose OS to load' screen comes up.

Obviously the XP install onto the SATA drive was successful, or I wouldn't be able to boot into it at all.

I realize this is probably a rather convoluted message, so if anyone needs any additional information or clarification please let me know. Thanks for the help everyone.

Was the PATA drive hooked up when you installed Windows on the SATA? Windows will do strange things when it loads and seems to always prefer to boot from a PATA. If you had the pata hooked up disconnect it and reinstall on the sata as it may be missing boot files.

Like he said, I had the same problem when I bought the 74gb raptor as my primary hd with the os on it, before that I had the Seagate 160 pata on. So I hooked up the raptor and loaded the os on it and everything went fine, set the raptor as the boot disk but it will not boot up becaues it says it could not find the os. So took out the Seagate reinstalled os on raptor boot up fine on windows then plugged in Seagate then formatted the hd and been using it as a storage for my video editing on my SLI-DR. :nod: