weird ram problems

I have two sticks of CMX1024-3500LLPRO ram that came in the TWINX2048-3500LLPRO package (XMS3502v1.3). I was getting some serious crashing within my games, so I took one stick out, and it all stopped. I thought hey, my other stick is bad, so then I switched them. Oddly enough, crashing still was no more. I put the other one back in, running dual channel (slots 2 + 4 - the orange ones) and it started crashing again. I ran memtest for 10 hours and it gave me lots of errors. It specifically failed on Test 7, so the next day I took out one stick of ram, ran memtest for about 12hours, and it gave no errors. Then, I switched the ram, ran memtest for about 10-11hours, and got no errors. So then I tried switching them into slots 1 + 3 - yellow, and I still got errors. So basically, running in dual channel, I get memtest errors and crashing, but EACH of the sticks run fine seperately. The fact that each of them work seperately makes me wonder if the ram is bad or not. I am running the ram at stock settings and have even bumped it down a little. It was running at CAS2 and i tried 2.5 and even 3.0, and it didn't help me at all. I tried calling Corsair and running their settings, didn't work, and I tried using Angry's settings, and I still got crashing. To be specific, the crashing including BSOD and freezing. Before this, I was running the CMX512-3200 series ram, 512MB each in dual channel, totalling to 1GB. These were running in orange slots, and they worked fine and still do. Kind of weird because now I am thinking maybe it isn't the motherboard, but at same time thinking it isn't ram. Very confused. I am running Windows XP Professional SP2 32-bit with an Nvidia 7800GT Forceware version 84.21. How can I tell if it is the ram or the motherboard? Cannot figure it out for the life of me. Thanks!

I've had 2 sets of corsair and havne't had the greatest luck w/ them......they just never seem to run as well as stated. At least the way I set em up. Different stroke for diff folks i guess. Have you tried a different mfg's ram like ocz or g skill ?

I had the same problem on an old nf2 but it was clear no matter what you put in it wouldn't run dual ch...only single....hence board issue.

I run these sticks. Had all sorts of probs in the beginning. Specifically trying to get them to run in dual mode. The setting that have made the biggest difference for me are drive strength. Setting it to 9 or 10 rectified my dual ram problems.

I know your problem is slightly different, but if your drive strength is set differently, maybe it wouldn't hurt to try 9 and see if it has any effect.

Good luck.

RLM

RLM:

I know it might be a lot to ask, but I am almost close to sending my ram back. Is there any way you can go into your Genie BIOS settings and go to DRAM and give me your settings? I haven't been able to get anything to work, and since you got yours working, I was wondering if you could just give me your settings so I can see if they work with mine. If they don't, I would definitly guess the ram is bad since we have the same exact motherboard and memory. If you could help me out I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks very much.

-Todd