Sign in to follow this  
combat squirrel

Everythings good apart from 2 odd things

Hi all, hows everyone doing? :)

Just completed my system build, everythings in sig, however 2 odd things occour:

1) When I try and run speedfan, the power cuts out, I assume its the DFI board 'protecting' itself from software trying to control fans, what can I do here? does MBM5 work ok? is there a config file for the expert board?

2) When I restart the computer from xp or when I hit the restart switch on case, the bios always says before it loads into the OS 'disk read error press ctrl-alt-del to restart' so obviously I always have to power off at the plug for 15 seconds then switch it on again, whats going on here then ?

Any info would be great cheers :)

You're not compliant with the minimum requierements of 24PIN, 480W for a power supply, specially with the expert that uses an 8 PIN CPU power conector....try a more powerful power supply.

I know you're gonna say I'm talking nonsense and 470w is more than enough....but let's not forget you have a powerful video card and your CPU is heavily overclocked....so I suggest you try a more powerful PSU

Guest SuppA-SnipA

check HDD SMART status, and check out a good psu OCZ Powerstream 520w :)

You're not compliant with the minimum requierements of 24PIN, 480W for a power supply, specially with the expert that uses an 8 PIN CPU power conector....try a more powerful power supply.

I know you're gonna say I'm talking nonsense and 470w is more than enough....but let's not forget you have a powerful video card and your CPU is heavily overclocked....so I suggest you try a more powerful PSU

Yes indeed I have thought about the power supply :nod: (i know its a noob mistake to make and you guys are sick of saying about the PSU!lol) ,its a 24pin enermax so not that bad. BUT I must point out I can play games for days on end (had 3dmark /03/05/06 demo looping for 12 hours each), prime stable at 28 hours, it cannot be crashed, surley its getting enough power if it runs the CPU and GFX card both very easly?.

However, as soon as i loadup speedfan - cuts out !, I think iv solved the problem now, got MBM5 running, and works fine :cool: - Im using the standard DFI NF4 config file I found on here somewhere, is there a specifc one for the expert ?

The harddrive problem is strange though, only also just found out, if I go into bios on reboot, then reboot again it loads fine, if i dont 'hd not found' I also read on here setting the disk read in bios to LBA should cure it, but I carnt find that option in the bios ! :confused: doh!,the drive is the seagate SATA 2 in my sig, 7200.9, its brand new, 2 weeks old. cheers people for feedback

Hi...

if you take a look at my signature im running this thing with an old Enermax PSU and never had any problems... maybe I should measure my Volts directly with a multimeter at the board... mbm5 says all is OK but never checked it... take a look at the 12 Volt rails. How many Amps...

Greets

[Edit]too slow to answer[/edit]

the speed fan is an issue of DFI with the Expert Board, It happens with Sandra As well, there are enough threads on it, i for one, got my whole mobo to die after running sandra, so stop using it and be carefull...

just use mbm or something

the speed fan is an issue of DFI with the Expert Board, It happens with Sandra As well, there are enough threads on it, i for one, got my whole mobo to die after running sandra, so stop using it and be carefull...

just use mbm or something

eek I will, MBM for me !! However apparently the reported temps are a little on the low side ? how would I fix this ? it looks about right to me though,lol

is there an expert MBM5 config file ?

dunno 'bout mbm5 config file, didnt really use the prog, and currently i dont have a board so... :|

as for the temps, again, a bug in the expert, again, no solution yet, we all hope for a new bios that will fix it, though i doubt it...

as for speedfan/sandra, you can run it, just search here in the forum, you nede to run it with some switches to change options...

but again, i suggest you stay away for now...

and i dont think you need a diff config for mbm, search for a slidr one, i guess its the same

There is nothing wrong with the mobo (not yours as far as I can see anyway) and Speed Fan will run fine if you do a 'NOSMBSCAN' switch to the shortcut target. SppedFan tries to read the SMBus and the mobo simply decides to shutdown. If you do this it will work fine.....well unless your mobo decides to give you more unsees grief like mine!