Sign in to follow this  
IncredibleHat

Hit a very low wall with Opteron 165: 265!

I suspect both you and I are limited by the same thing - the on-chip memory controller. I have to run my mem slower than what it's capable of running to get over 2.7.

If you're stable at 312x9, you are beating me. I've just stabilized [email protected], same stepping as yours. I'm not sure I'll hit 2.8 but I haven't given up yet. What's your voltage when running stable at 312x9?

--

Brian

--

Brian

Welp, can't get it stable at 312 ! Heh. Prime95 flat out throws errors seconds into core2. My core2 has been giving me issues through the whole process (well, not big issues, its just the first one that has a problem so I never get to a point where core1 has a problem, heh).

So, I am now prime95ing on 300x9 @ 1.425v*110% (which is 1.54v in MBM5/BIOS). Appears to be holding steady on Large TFT.

I tried to get 310 going on prime95... no luck. Unless I boosted the vcore to 1.50*110% ... which made MBM5 scream bloody murder at me, as I have my alarm at 52c, and it hit 53c, so I stopped prime95. It was holding though! Just WAY too hot! Super Pi did not get it anywhere near that hot, but then super pi isn't as stressful.

So, instead of dinking with the max heat/max fsb/max vcore, I dropped it down to the above 300 settings, and will see if its prime stable by morning. At least that will give me a good "OK THIS IS GOOD" point.

So you're right about where I'm at. I bet both of us could go higher with > 1.55 vcore. Do we have the guts to try?

Your HSF is Stock/Lapped - what does Lapped mean? (Yea, I'm a newbie)

Also, whats your load=temp at 1.54 300x9?

I may have the guts, if I can find a way of cooling it down from that evil 52c... but I am already above where I had simply wanted to be, which was 290.

Lapped is a process of sanding down the rough stock surface of your heatsink to make it a mirror finish. By doing this and using "Arctic Silver 5" as the thermal paste, you can reduce your overall temps by up to 7c in some cases. I dropped mine down only 4c... so I may re-seat the heatsink again, or try lapping it more. My mirror finish wasNT prefectly mirror, had a wee bit of fog to it, cause I didn't spend the extra hour on the 2200 grit sandpaper :D

Right now its been holding on full dual primes at 45c. Which is very nice for me.

To help make that more clear, here is a list:

Total Voltage - Idle Temp. - Load Temp.

v1.30 - 32c - 37c

v1.35 - 32c - 37c

v1.40 - 32c - 39c

v1.45 - 35c - 42c

v1.50 - 36c - 44c

v1.55 - 36c - 45c

v1.58 - 37c - 49c

v1.65 - 38c - 53c

The total volts is mostly a mixture of VID and VID Special. Most of them above 1.4 I used a 110% VID Special Control. When I set my VID to 1.35 or 1.4, I had the Special set to "Auto", which had an effect of making the actual vcore lower than the setting. So like my 1.35v * Auto, was 1.32v. Kind weird... so I stopped using auto.

To help make that more clear, here is a list:

Total Voltage - Idle Temp. - Load Temp.

v1.30 - 32c - 37c

v1.35 - 32c - 37c

v1.40 - 32c - 39c

v1.45 - 35c - 42c

v1.50 - 36c - 44c

v1.55 - 36c - 45c

v1.58 - 37c - 49c

v1.65 - 38c - 53c

The total volts is mostly a mixture of VID and VID Special. Most of them above 1.4 I used a 110% VID Special Control. When I set my VID to 1.35 or 1.4, I had the Special set to "Auto", which had an effect of making the actual vcore lower than the setting. So like my 1.35v * Auto, was 1.32v. Kind weird... so I stopped using auto.

Wow that's awesome with the retail cooler. I get 55 degrees full load with it. 2.55ghz, stock vcore :(

The stock heatsink on the Opteron 165 is a serious device that rivals some of the best replacements. Basically, you don't need to replace the heatsink... but the fan. I am still using the stock fan, but I put one of those ducts in the middle of it to eliminate the 'dead spot' a fan makes on a heatsink.

I have been hunting around for a decent 80mm fan to replace the stock one with... that isn't terribly noisey like the tornado.

Twivel: I think you mean F instead of C? Hehehe ... OMG 80c in your room!!!... live in arizona? Hehe.

My room is ambient 24.5c most the time during the winter.

The stock heatsink on the Opteron 165 is a serious device that rivals some of the best replacements. Basically, you don't need to replace the heatsink... but the fan. I am still using the stock fan, but I put one of those ducts in the middle of it to eliminate the 'dead spot' a fan makes on a heatsink.

I have been hunting around for a decent 80mm fan to replace the stock one with... that isn't terribly noisey like the tornado.

Twivel: I think you mean F instead of C? Hehehe ... OMG 80c in your room!!!... live in arizona? Hehe.

My room is ambient 24.5c most the time during the winter.

This sounds like good news! The other day I ordered a 165 retail and I've been reading about some after market fans and was getting nervous that the stock 165 cooling would not be enough.

How did you put a duct in the middle of your fan, is there a link that would tell me how to do that?

You also mentioned possibly replacing the fan, would it need replacement because it is noisy or not good enough? I don't really care about noise.

Anyone else having success with the 165 stock cooling?

Thanks!

PS: I'm new to OCing and PC construction so any advice or links would be greatly apreciated.

Have a lookie in this thread about the subject:

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/show...ad.php?t=209907

The duct I used was the Thermaltake CPU HS Ducting Mod. Turns out I took it off just now, and see ABSOLUTELY no difference in temps. In fact... it may just be a colder day ... but it seems like its running cooler without it.

The duct, if you are still interested is like this one:

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556018537.html

As for the fan, it blows about 35cfm. Which is pretty good. However you can get more powerful fans that force more air. Like the Vantec Tornado... which is seriously noisey, but pushes a crapload of air. I am trying to find something 40-60 cfm ish... having a hard time though at 80mm.