Sign in to follow this  
Cntrlfrk

Need advice about upgrading from Athlon 64 to X2

I'm a big multi-tasker who enjoys encoding video or making DVD's while net surfing etc. I am also an avid gamer (mostly CS:S) my current setup is shown in sig, but I am helping my nephew build/buy a system and I am thinking about selling my Venice core Athlon 64 to him for cheap and going to an Athlon X2 4200+ or 4400+ dual core since I've read reviews which rates as being great (read: fast) cpus as well as extremely competent gaming processors for someone who likes to have a few progs going at once etc. (I've also had them personally recommended by a computer shop system builder that I play online with. I've built alot of systems but still an amateur compared to this guy!) Does anyone have opinions/experience with this and will it transition okay on the motherboard in my sig. (DFI prod. page shows it is compatible with my mobo) Also if you guys DO recommend I do this what steps should I take to ensure an easy pain free transition (like BIOS updates, or chipset driver and vid. card updates and also what order to do everything in) Also hopefully this will not mess up my RAID 0 as I have lots of data I really don't want to lose.

Guest nomad

For a straight gamer probably save the cash for a better GPU, but since you are a multi-tasker there is no reason not to go dual core. I went dual when they were new and expensive and prolly wasnt worth it at the time. Now I would never build a single core for anything unless it was strictly a gamer machine.

Even then it depends on how long you want to keep that gamer box as you now it wont be long untill gaming goes dual core.

Here is a good link to some real dual vs. single core gaming article. Kinda relevant.

Nomad

I think many will suggest you reinstall windows when going from single to dual core....also you will need to install the AMD x2 driver and the ms hotfix for dual cores. Lots of info around just do a search

Might mention I'm already getting a new GPU, going with new EVGA geForce 7900 GT , if that helps. I'm stoked, it should be here Friday :D Also will look into hotfix

Do it for sure, i currently have a 3800+ X2 and I'm loving it. It was a massive step from a 3500+ (I only had the 3500+ for a few days, returned it for this X2 when i saw a combo deal for the same price i paid at a local shop) and if you're getting a 4200+ or 4400+ Id go with the 4400+ 1m Cache each core.

You'll love the power these chips have... Its pretty amazing.

Id make sure you have the hotfix and AMD drivers. Disable Cn'Q and you'll be fine.