Should I push my Athlon X2 4400+ any further?

Please see signature for specs:

In trying to find just the maximum I can get from my Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo CPU.

I am currently at:

CPU VID: 1.475

Special Control: 113%

so the VCore = 1.667

BIOS shows the actual VCore to be 1.64V

FSB: 257

CPU Multi: 11

Idle Temp: 31 C

Load Temp: 51 C {After 10 mins of Prime 95 (2 instances) Large Test}

I'm not running 24 hour tests yet because I just want to see how far this can go before I do that.

CPU-Z shows Vcore to be around 1.63V but I have read that whatever the BIOS shows is the true VCore (+.02V or so if measured by a MM).

I have seen people with water cooling and vapor phase-change cooling rigs set their VCores beyond 1.7 V. Keeping in mind that I'm on air with an excellent cooler, the Zalman CNPS-9500LED, how much further do any of you experienced OC'ers think is ok to go further with the VCore as long as the temperatures stay low?

Thanks.

If you want a Dead CPU in 4 months go for it ehehehe!

I would advise on air 1.57 - 1.58 tops even then your pushing it on Air...

You pay for what you get 1.6 - 1.7 voltages on dual core or single core with air cooling is asking for trouble.

Quick boots to see where you go you can get away with, any long term use stress testing is a no no to be honest I don't think its worth the time if its not daily stable.

Time to invest in one of these if you want 1.7 boots.

Thanks but how about if I run stability tests (OCCT, SP2004, Prime, Super PI, etc) for 24 hours+ and the temperatures still stay closer to 50 C at these high VCores on air?

PS: I should be getting the Cryo-Z (we'll see what the reviews have to say when it is finally released) in less than four months so hopefully my CPU will stay alive to experience sub zero temperatures hehe :)

Transistors become stressed after a while and they can split the core

depends on your financial situation go for it if you want to risk it just be prepared to buy another CPU

Cryo Z does'nt get as cold as the Vapochill or Mach 2 Gt's but it does have a chilly 1 evap head and a regass could be a wiser choice than the mach 2 or vapo.

Thanks a lot rapty :). I think what you mean is that with water or phase cooling there is somehow a lesser chance of the transistors becoming stressed after a while because they will cool the cpu more consistently over time. I was under the impression that as long as I can maintain temperatures close to 50 or < 55 C when running at full load for 24 hours or more, it shouldn't matter what kind of cooling I'm using.

With regards to the Cryo-Z, the only advantage I see as of now is the price. It is supposed to be priced around $300 which seems extremely reasonable to me to invest in. We will have to wait and see what the numbers look like side by side.

Anyone else on air care to comment about my dangerous venture?

You are pumping a LOT more voltage than I am for 200 MHz more. Heat is not the only concern. You can even blow out a CPU on phase by running too much voltage no matter what the temps are.

It's your money....I know I would never do that much even on water.

1.6 is pretty questionable on air....but to be fair there are many people running lesser overclocks that max out at 50C load and they haven't had a problem yet. If that is actually Prime stable for 12 hours you'd probably be safe for any other program you run....however I'm not sure if I'd try to run 12 hours of Prime on it.

I guess my official answer is I'd knock it down a couple notches. See what you can get at 1.55 volts maybe.

Unofficially you could be okay, but you're taking a chance.

You are pumping a LOT more voltage than I am for 200 MHz more. Heat is not the only concern. You can even blow out a CPU on phase by running too much voltage no matter what the temps are.

It's your money....I know I would never do that much even on water.

All chips are different, blowing a chip on phase is a lot less likely than blowing one on air or water & takes some skill to achieve :rolleyes: .

Anyway mid aslong as your aware that these voltages are risky, you can make your mind up from what has been said.

how much further do any of you experienced OC'ers think is ok to go further with the VCore as long as the temperatures stay low?

1.667 just seems like a lot of volts to me. As far as temps vs. volts, everyone has an opinion. For a bit more than just opinion on high volts, try reading the thread in the link below, and read until the Intel and AMD engineers jump in:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.as...MVIEWTMP=Linear

Its pretty interesting, and remember that even with adequate cooling, volts can kill. You seem to be aware of the possible problems. Good Luck.

Guest nomad

My X2 4400 has been running since late July on 1.66Vcore (DMM tested) but I have been on good watercooling since the start. Load temps never reasched above 38c.

I got an expert and I can run lower Vcore now. Happy about that tho.

On air I would say that is alittle high. I am kinda impressed that the 9500 could handle that kind of heat output. I ran an OC calculator and it said that my chip was barfing out 200W of heat at 1.66 with it running 2850. So I am guessing your chip is putting out around 170W or so.

Get yourself a Swiftech Apex or a kit from Danger Den, or go phase if you want to go hard:)