Can't install OS with ACPI enabled

I have been unable to install Windows XP SP2 with ACPI disabled.

Background: I first built the computer a few months ago, with ACPI disabled. Everything was fine, and one day I decided to enable it since the computer is on quite often. Since then, the computer would not return from sleep mode once it starts 'sleeping'. I suppose that some devices in my system were not ACPI 'approved'. So I disabled it, but the computer would not load windows if I do, which is understandable since the OS has already been told to enable ACPI. So now I have been trying to reinstall Windows using a different harddrive, the old one died already. If I enable ACPI, Windows installation would go though. If I disable it, Windows setup would not detect my harddrive. I do not want to install the OS with ACPI enabled anymore since my system cannot retrieve from sleep mode.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can try.

You have to set your mind on wether you want it enable it or not and then install windows xp....XP doesn't like when you change ACPI after it was installed because the kernel installed is different on both instances....

hope this answers your question

• 1 month later...
You have to set your mind on wether you want it enable it or not and then install windows xp....XP doesn't like when you change ACPI after it was installed because the kernel installed is different on both instances....

hope this answers your question

In my original post, i mentioned that this is a brand new hard drive, since I RMAed the one where ACPI was installed... THe problem is more like the mobo cannot recognize the harddrive whenever ACPI is DISABLED.

I have had this problem forever now, and I am just bummed.

Would be interesting for the reader as to what kind of HD it is (is it the maxline III that is the new one?) and where did you plug it in, and did you use the same port both times, and if it's an IDE drive did you set the master/slave/cableselect to cableselect or master or slave? And did you try another strand of powerplugs of your PSU?

Or is it a SATA drive? and how big is it, larger than 137GB? Does the bios give you correct data in the drive detection screen? is your +5VSB reporting +5V in the bios power screen?

Did you disable 'HDD power down' in the power management screen of the BIOS? and 'HDD down in suspend'?

Did you try to reset your BIOS?

----------

nf4 expert - X2 - ocz