Anyone playing Elderscrolls IV yet?

baaj

I have never really played an RPG before, im thinking if i should get it or not?!??!

imho it's got the best graphics of any game currently on the market.

If you can't get into this one, then you'll know that the rpg genre isn't for you. This is really the best of the best.

the combat isn't like HL2 or FEAR though, if that's what you're looking for.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone tell me if you select HDR with no AA in the game, does nvdia AA settings on the control panel (desktop) have any effect (if you change to 4AA / 8 AT)?

I want to believe so otherwise what is the function of "application based" setting in that same control panel?

FPS (7800gt 470-1115, 2.9ghz):

AA: 4AA / 8 AT selected in the Nvdia control panel.

vsync: not selected in the Nvdia control panel. (I am thinking)

vsync: not selected in the game options.

AA: not selected in the game options.

HDR: selected in the game options.

Distant objects: selected in the game options.

oblivion.ini: no tweaking

FPS outside 3rd person view: 25-45

FPS outside 1st person view: little higher than above value (cannot remember exactly)

FPS inside: 55-75

Notes:

1) Changed ini file as Angry mentioned above: definitely worse for my eyes and fps didnt increase (maybe a bit - epsilon >> 0)

2) Vsync setting was the only real setting that increased my fps.

I conquered the oblivion gate at Kvatch. Pretty cool. I don't get too much lag but now I'm wantiing a 7900GTX...unfortunately, no one has 'em in stock. :mad: I tried to see if it looked better with HDR off and AA on and I couldn't tell a real difference.

I read the review at Gamestop and they said the PC "could" have better graphics but you need a high end setup. At the end, they recommended the PC version for high end or if your PC is not top of the line then the 360 is your best bet. I agree with their review.

PS I was just examining some 360 images and it cant touch a PC. Honest, take a look at how poor the AF is. Obviously nowhere near a 8...not even 4 I think.

Look here : 360 http://www.gamershell.com/screenpop.php?id=188432

PC http://www.gamershell.com/screenpop.php?id=160600

Granted, is not the same picture but you get the idea. On top of that the PC can be tweaked to fit your gear or taste.

I suppose that the 360 could beat my setup (at least with better framerates), but I would have to buy a 360, buy the game, and buy a good HDTV for that to happen. The guys at WalMart tried to do just that... Perhaps if I was at BestBuy, I might have considered it. But there's no way I'm going to get an HDTV from WalMart, the great purveyers of crap that breaks after a few weeks.

alrite, i got no problem with the video settings. i set them up, and nothing got changed automatically or wutever.... i wonder whats causing u guys to reset like that.

i also prefer HDR instead of 4xAA even if for some reason 4xAA runs abit smoother on my system becoz it looks more realistic, and at 1280x1024 it looks nice enuf without the AA. and when u got into teh Oblivion tower, the spiraling tower of fire is WAY different IMO with/without HDR lol. with HDR its almost like blinding n stuff n real u can almost feel the heat kinda real, without HDR but with AA it just makes it look like a very nicely rendered animation...

edit: also, the way the grass distance draws itself, with HDR it draws futher and smoother, with xAA, its like everytime u move, a row of grass pops out of nowhere lol

i do however notice a HUGE difference in texture quality between 1024x768 and 1280x1024. its almost night and day as in 3dmark05 vs 3dmark06 if y'know what i mean lol (same graphic nicer quality).

Im at level 6 now, completed about 7 side-quest including winning the arena grandchampion, the stupid nirmroot, going to the end of the map, discovering at least 20 locations outide the cities, found a hidden ancient akavari fort (falk pass or watever up north), found the prince and put him on the temple fort, safe n sound, i got frost/heat/shock claymores, a super daikatana that reduce all 3 bars, and obliterated 2 oblivion gates/worlds......... im now currenlty chasing dawn 2 spies on the nearby city. i got 1 but i have no clue on the other one.

questions:

now almost 80% enemies that i hit, its a 1 hit kill? seems like theres no more challenge!! but its still fun completing all the quests.

are there really 16 oblivion gates?? i got 2 down (1 is in kvalk or however u spell that, the other one i stumble upon), that means there are 14 others i can just stumble upon?? i LOVE going into the oblivion gates, if u got o the sidetowers u can get wicked weapons/accessories. learn the snowball magic and its like a walk in the park. shoot, slash, die.

(most importantly) how the heck do u recharge "magic" properties of weapons? going around oblivion gates using the frost-sword is like hot knife through butter (but the other way around i guess lol), and i spent all 50 hits of the frost. now its just a "regular" sword...

anybody wanna answer these?

THANK YOU!

Guest shaolin95
I suppose that the 360 could beat my setup (at least with better framerates), but I would have to buy a 360, buy the game, and buy a good HDTV for that to happen. The guys at WalMart tried to do just that... Perhaps if I was at BestBuy, I might have considered it. But there's no way I'm going to get an HDTV from WalMart, the great purveyers of crap that breaks after a few weeks.

Well, maybe it can beat your setup maybe it cant, it depends. As you may have seen in the screenshots, the 360 is not using very high Aniso levels so you run at that level as well your FPS will be much better but at what cost? I love how my tweaked game looks as I can stay at the top of a hill and just admire the whole world in great detail. Is there a big difference between the 84.21 and 84.25? Ive been hearing that it only helps Oblivion (84.25) but are bad for most other games so unless they are WAY better with Oblivion, I am not planning to change drivers each time I want to play a different game. :-)

questions:

now almost 80% enemies that i hit, its a 1 hit kill? seems like theres no more challenge!! but its still fun completing all the quests.

are there really 16 oblivion gates?? i got 2 down (1 is in kvalk or however u spell that, the other one i stumble upon), that means there are 14 others i can just stumble upon?? i LOVE going into the oblivion gates, if u got o the sidetowers u can get wicked weapons/accessories. learn the snowball magic and its like a walk in the park. shoot, slash, die.

(most importantly) how the heck do u recharge "magic" properties of weapons? going around oblivion gates using the frost-sword is like hot knife through butter (but the other way around i guess lol), and i spent all 50 hits of the frost. now its just a "regular" sword...

THANK YOU!

I am not sure about how many oblivion gates there are but I have seen a lot, I am lvl 20 so I am quite far into the game.

to recharge weapons you can go to bruma city and go into the mage guild(or any town that has a mage guild i think), there is a guy there (forget his name, he has a green coat and you may have to wait for him to arrive) he can recharge weapons it is not cheap tho for good weapons. I tried to be very conservative early on so I could buy a house and furnish it lol. Now I have a central place to drop all my stuff I want to hold onto...But i may have to buy another (i am running out of space lol).

To recharge the weapons you have to collect a soul (I forget how it's worded, collect, absorb, take, something). You can buy the Magicka ability to absorb soul (again, I forget the wording) and recharge the soul gems which recharge the weapons.

questions:

THANK YOU!

1 hit kills? If my character could only be so lucky...

Have you slept in a bed at an inn or such and leveled up? Levelling up should balance the game with your character's ability. If you haven't done this, you'll proabably have to do it many times to get to the level your character has currently reached.

Otherwise, there's the difficulty slider in the settings (haven't touched mine though, so not sure of the effect on gaming)

No idea how many Oblivion gates there are - I've been doing other stuff and haven't even gone into the first one yet.

People in the mage's guild will do this service for a price (there's a guild in most cities). THere's also crystal (I forget the name) that will recharge all of your gear one time before it is used up. I usually just sell them when I find them though as they're worth about 1000g each.

Enjoy!

I doubt the 360 version would look better than your setup, but hell, if it's a good excuse to buy a new HDTV... ;)