Most Pathetic Venus Overclock Ever?

Drum role......, ....

2.1Ghz at 240FSB is the best I can do!!! How pathetic is that...?

I am somewhat newb to AMD64 overclocking, but yes I did the obligatory 3 weeks+ worth of reading stickies :rolleyes: . I am running at the 166Mhz Memory setting, LDT = 3X, and very loose timings.

Tried removing 1 stick ddr and swapping each one in the outer most orange slot. Tried Vcore up to 1.5v. Tried mucking around with various DRAM settings, all I can clock up to is somewhere between 230 and 240 FSB.

I am using the latest DFI official BIOS (12/14/05 ?) I think. Maybe a mod bios would change things?

I wasn't expecting 3.0Ghz with stock cooling, cheap DDR400 and a marginal PSU, but, 2.1Ghz...?

Needless to say I am not in my 'happy place' so far.... :confused:

Oh yah, I'm just using the systool overclock function as a rough gauge, can't imagine running a real stability test - I might end up with a negative overclock....

play with your ram timings a little more, I had to go through each and every setting (aside from the main 3-4-4-8 1t) before I found the one and only one (regardless of FSB, main timings, divider etc) that caused XP not to be able to post.

play with your ram timings a little more, I had to go through each and every setting (aside from the main 3-4-4-8 1t) before I found the one and only one (regardless of FSB, main timings, divider etc) that caused XP not to be able to post.

Just out of curiousity, which particular DRAM setting was the culprit for you HanzoRazor?

I read somewhere there is a PreAmble setting that tends to screw up some machines?...There is a lot of settings,....

Youre PSU may or may not be causing problems

In a way I hope your right cuz this is one of the easier things to fix, I just gotta come up with the cash for a new PSU. My thinking was because I only run 1 6600GT at stock and no dual core, no water pumps, etc that I could get a modest overclock...perhaps that's what I am experiencing, a very modest overclock....

Update:

Had some good results...eventually. At first I could not get past a measely 2.1Ghz running stock voltages and loose timings (3X HTT also). After 2 nites of troubleshooting and scratching my head I made a discovery - my cheapass Samsung DDR400 hates dividers. I can seem to run a memory ratio of 1:1 (200Mhz) or 1:2 (100 Mhz) but nothing in between. If I leave 1:1 then my DDR400 bottlenecks me around 225 FSB (450 memory), so that ratio is no good. If I go with 1:2 ratio then she really opens up - 2.5Ghz stock voltages and 2.7Ghz (300Mhz FSB) with 1.55Vcore....yah! :lol: But my DDR400 is at below 150Mhz at these FSB speeds, due to the 1:2 ratio....

I think there may be a DRAM setting(s) which will enable the other memory divider settings to work for me but it could take quite a bit of reading and experimenting to find it...?

Well, I tried various combinations of both RP and MAL, but not much luck with dividers.

Switching to the 'Tony 06/23' BIOS did however allow me to boot using the 1:2 divider but won't allow much O/C beyond 230 FSB.

As far getting new RAM and/or PSU - agreed, as soon as I can save up the cashola. For now, I was hoping to find a way to run a descent O/C using loose timings and the 1/2 memory divider. Like I mentioned b4 I can run the FSB up to 300 if the timings are set in Windows using systool but no such luck using the same settings in the BIOS - weird.