Sign in to follow this  
blaznee

Opty 165 or 170?

I know I know, probably been discussed a million times, but a forum search really didn't produce an answer I could REALLY use..

Anyway.. I stumpled upon a in-stock Venus board at a local dealer yesterday, so I simply HAD to get that :-P..

Now I find out that my planned Opteron 165 is only running on a x9 multiplier!

I'm putting the CPU on my new Venus board, paired with 2*1gig OCZ Gold XTC PC4000 modules..

I want to reach 2.6 ghz, but is that really obtainable with my poor OC skills with a x9 multiplier? Or should I spend the extra money for a x10 Opty 170?

I assume I'd have to fiddle around with clock dividers and whatnot with the 165, but the 170 should just go to fsb 260, and then tweak vdimm and vcore until stable at OCZ's rated timings.

P.S. Still going for the XFX 7900GT XXX edition graphics card..

I know I know, probably been discussed a million times, but a forum search really didn't produce an answer I could REALLY use..

Anyway.. I stumpled upon a in-stock Venus board at a local dealer yesterday, so I simply HAD to get that :-P..

Now I find out that my planned Opteron 165 is only running on a x9 multiplier!

I'm putting the CPU on my new Venus board, paired with 2*1gig OCZ Gold XTC PC4000 modules..

I want to reach 2.6 ghz, but is that really obtainable with my poor OC skills with a x9 multiplier? Or should I spend the extra money for a x10 Opty 170?

I assume I'd have to fiddle around with clock dividers and whatnot with the 165, but the 170 should just go to fsb 260, and then tweak vdimm and vcore until stable at OCZ's rated timings.

P.S. Still going for the XFX 7900GT edition graphics card..

the 10x multiplier no doubt will be handy. but there ar still lotsa ppl who can reach 2.8ghz, if not 3 and above, on the 165. so its really up to preference i guess.

dividers should make a diference, i am inclined to believe that.

look around at the oc section--there are huge threads that cover this and users post their settings.

I have an opty 165 running a stable 2.61 @ 290x9 with a 166 divider 24/7. :cool: I can get it to 2.7 but it is only 9 hours SPrime Stable, the 2.61 is 24 hours SP stable.

When I got my CPU a few weeks ago the difference between a 165 and 170 was almost $100. I have seen extreme cooling unlock the multipliers on the 165 also, but had not tried anything like that with mine. Part of me wishes that I would have splurdged on the 170, but I just bought a 2GB kit of G Skills, and if I would have gotten the 170 I doubt I could have gotten the RAM.

It all about perspective! :nod:

Sign in to follow this