Is this a common problem? 3800 x2 can't reach same OC I had months ago

cerupcat

I have a Manchester 3800+ x2 and a few months ago I was running 250fsb 2500mhz just fine. I ended up having bad sticks of memory at the time and had to RMA them. I recieved new ones and never tried to overclock back to 2500mhz since I was going to sell the RAM and upgrade to 2gb when I originally only had 1gb. Now, I recieved a 2gb OCZ XTC kit, and I ran memtest and everything seems fine with the RAM. Seems 100% stable in windows too with the RAM at DDR500. But, when I try to overclock the CPU to 2.5 I can't get OCCT to go past about 10-20% and then it stops (not freeze). I set the mem divider down a lot to make sure that wasn't the issue, and I still can't hit even 2450mhz on the CPU (OCCT won't pass).

Is this common? I was running fine before at 2500 just fine for probably about a month or two before I changed ram. I tried upping the vcore to 1.5-1.53ish which I know is higher than it was before at 2500mhz. So I'm not really sure what would be causing this.

Any thoughts would be great!

Maybe OCCT is a bad first test?

I had exactly the same (without component changes), seems that the max OC "wears out" over time. Sold my 3800+ because of it. Will be nice to see if some other guys that finalized theirs last year would validate that same settings again to see if there is a pattern

Hi,

I had the same "issue" with my old Mobile XP 2600+ (good old nF2 times...). After some time I had to increase the voltage to get the same overclock, but I was running high vcore since day one; so that might be the reason. My 3500+ Venice doesn´t show this behaviour, changed my Ram (1GB -> 2GB, high voltage Ram -> Samsung UCCC) without a difference in overclocking or voltage settings.

Gipse

Ok, well I guess there's no much I can do then? That's weird since I thought a lot people get better overclocks over time.

It's weird since I can boot into windows all the way up to 2700mhz (didn't try further) @ 1.55vcore, but OCCT always fails from 2410-2700. I would think if I could boot into windows that high I would fine something stable under 2700. I did just try changing the multi from 10x to 8x and FSB to 310 = 2480mhz and OCCT passed. So it's weird that when using a multi of 10x @ 240-250FSB OCCT failed, but changing to 8x and it passes. Since putting it at 8x, I wasn't sure if it was worth it since the memory has to be on a divider vs. 1:1 at 10x.

I don't think anymore vcore will do anything I guess, plus I'm on AIR using xp-90 (although temps never go above 40c) and I don't think anything above 1.55 is recommended for 24/7 usage.

Is OCCT a bad test? Once OCCT fails haven't tried any other ones. So I don't know if the other ones would pass or not.

Does anyone know if the 3800+ x2 like different multipliers? Maybe it would be better to run memory on a divider to get the higher mhz?

Thanks for your thoughts.