sick of raid

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a question for everyone with RAID-0 arrays.

Has anyone had a failure since their rig was built?

I've got two RAID-0 arrays running and haven't had a blip in over a year.

No blips here either just great response time and throughput :D

Well a little off topic, and not helping the original poster at all, but since Roadie asked...

After almost 10 years of Raid-0 arrays, using 2,3, and now 4 drives, not once have I lost an array because of drive failure. I have however not been able to build an array because of a bad drive from the start, but once it was replaced, no problems. And I've even used old maxtor drives, which many have had problems on these boards (2 of them are in my raid now), and generic no name brands. I have lost drives, but not ones that were in a raid-0 array at the time. Lucky I guess.

Roadie i understand your logic, but this is no figment of my imagination. The drives have corrupted a total of 4 times. I have become quite the seasoned vetern of setting the array, and loading everything in. The only thing im going to try differantly this time is loading the X2 patch from MS, and the X2 driver from amd prior to installing chipset drivers. Saw someone mention this in a expert thread, and figure its worth a try. I am formatting for 2 x 2 mirror right now. If this corrupts, i guess its time to pack it all up, and see when Angry might have a chance to squeeze me in. I dont care if he keeps it for 2 months, as long as i get some stability. I have no pictures of grander in my head, i know the problem lies with somthing im doing wrong. I know its not a hardware problem, but operator error :(

Here's a question for everyone with RAID-0 arrays.

Has anyone had a failure since their rig was built?

I've got two RAID-0 arrays running and haven't had a blip in over a year.

I've got RAID-0 arrays in 5 machines that get used daily (2 for me, one for momma, one for my brother, and one server) and in all the time I have been using RAID, I have never had an array go 'bad' or corrupt, etc

if you are having issues with RAID, there's more likely a bigger problem with stability that needs to be looked at

AS far as i know you cant set up four hard drives without a raid array of some kind or another.Raid 5 will be your best bet 2 hard drives will act as raid 0 and two will act as raid 1.

AS far as i know you cant set up four hard drives without a raid array of some kind or another.Raid 5 will be your best bet 2 hard drives will act as raid 0 and two will act as raid 1.

I think you're a little confused here bro.

What you're talking about is JBOD (Just another Bunch Of Disks) where its not a raid array, its just a logical group of drives with no redundancy.

Raid 5 uses a minimum of 3 drives up to as many as you want.

Raid 0+1 (aka Raid 10) is a minimum of 4 drives up to as many as you want as long as its an even number. The way this works is that 2 disks are striped and those 2 disks are mirrored.... =) Its the best of both worlds of redundancy and performance...but its not the cheaptest

There are many different types of raid... most are not really something anyone needs anymore... the one's production environments use is raid 5, because if one drive dies, the array still has all the data on it since the parity bits are spread all over the array.

But if you are trying to delete the array, be sure, before you go into the motherboard's bios, to go into the Sil (or NV Raid bios) by hitting ALT+S or whatever the hot key is on post...and REMOVE it there first.....of course this is going to kill all the data on all those disks... now reboot and get into the mbd's bios...and set all the drives to regular SATA...... there should not be much of a mystery here.

Hope this helps.....

RAID-5 on these integrated controllers is the worst possible idea

in the big hdd/benchmark thread stuck to the top of hte Software section, I tested RAID-5 and got about 16MB/s read/write....compared to about 140MB/s in RAID-0 and about 90MB/s in RAID-1.

the only good RAID-5 solution is a decently expensive RAID PCI/PCI-X card

JBOD is just spanning the hdd's (ie if you have 4 80GB hdd's, then JBOD will just show up as a single 320GB hdd but there's no RAID or speed increase involved...when you run out of room on one hdd, it just spans right over to the next...pretty useless for me and most others)

RAID-5 on these integrated controllers is the worst possible idea

in the big hdd/benchmark thread stuck to the top of hte Software section, I tested RAID-5 and got about 16MB/s read/write....compared to about 140MB/s in RAID-0 and about 90MB/s in RAID-1.

the only good RAID-5 solution is a decently expensive RAID PCI/PCI-X card

JBOD is just spanning the hdd's (ie if you have 4 80GB hdd's, then JBOD will just show up as a single 320GB hdd but there's no RAID or speed increase involved...when you run out of room on one hdd, it just spans right over to the next...pretty useless for me and most others)

Yes RAID5 has its trade offs just like every one of the RAID modes. Raid 5 is not for performance. If you want performance, you go with RAID0... but as everyone knows, it has no redundancy. RAID5 is not a fast solution because its constantly generating parity and writing it all over the array for redundancy purposes.... hence the performance hit.

RAID-5 on a pretty decent controller is actually very good performing....we've seen some mid-range RAID cards that can do about some excellent speeds in RAID-5 but these onboard solutions are SOFTWARE only for 5...so its a total nightmare and is to be avoided at all costs (considering that RAID-1 performs about 5-10 times faster on these integrated controllers and is even more redundant than RAID-5)