Sign in to follow this  
malccy

CPU volts - who to believe?

Hi

am wondering if someone can tell me whether I should trust the BIOS reading of 1.51v for my cpu or cpu-z which says 1.488v.

Am overclocking my cpu so is quite important that I get it correct. My last board I needed 1.52v to keep the cpu stable at 3.0ghz; am having trouble getting it stable at 2.7ghz on this board - any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

afaik u should trust the bios more than software

ppl who measured using a multimeter say that bios reading is more close to reality

;)

A bit tricky to measure VCore on the DFI since heatsinks are covering the VRMs...

You would have to measure at the positive side of the capacitors connected to VCore on the underside of the mobo, which can be a bit tricky if it's installed in a case :P

Guest Synchronize
A bit tricky to measure VCore on the DFI since heatsinks are covering the VRMs...

You would have to measure at the positive side of the capacitors connected to VCore on the underside of the mobo, which can be a bit tricky if it's installed in a case :P

Is that the best way to check it using a multimeter?

Another thing is from what i've noticed on my board is that smartguardian seems to be more accurate than what my bios states. The reason why i say that is my proc atm is at 2.91Ghz with only 1.47v(smartguardian) 1.5v(bios) and 1.47v seems more accurate being that i was able to the same on my last board.

The DMM readings show that Vcore values are between BIOS readings (idle value) and BIOS settings (load value).

If you want to know for sure what your value is, you must measure it with a DMM. It's not really so difficult and you can see here the points between I've measured it.