eVGA Geforce 7800 GTX KO Water cooling

quisman

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that's what i'm talkin about...been waiting for a nice pic of someones setup ! Looks like it really covers all the Ic's. The only thing I would worry about is weight.....but you can always put some type of "lolly column" in.

I use the NV-78 myself on a 7800GT but if I was doing a GTX I'd just go with the Maze4. The NV-78 is more restrictive than the Maze4, even moreso with 2 of them inline, and since you have to use ramsinks on the back of the GTX anyway it kind of defeats the purpose and is a waste of $$$ IMHO. The vid memory doesn't get very warm to begin with to require watercooling.

-pickles

Alright, check it out.....I got bored today and wanted to clean up my system before I decide to liquid cool it. So.........While i was messin around I ripped into my vcards and collected some data that may or may not be usefull to everyone here.

So, here it goes.

FYI: i'm running a opty 150 240x12 @ 2880 mhz and memory at 524mhz

video cards are at stock speeds

idle temps...

Vcard one (topmost) is running about 50c

Vcard two (u guessed it bottom) is running about 42c

Chipset is running about 40c

okay, well I dropped the card in my "calibrated :-)" scale and got..1lb 5 5/8 oz

Then took off the top cover but left the bottom on...and got 1lb 2.25 oz

vcardminustop.jpg

Then removed the bottom casing and measured 14 5/8 oz

vcardminusbottomandtop.jpg

Now I also removed the HSF on the top side...so we're looking at a naked card

and it only weighs in at.... 7oz ! ! !

Soooo... I don't know how off my scale is...but if you remove everything i'm guessing it's perfectly find to install those giant nv-78's but i'm sure a bottom support wouldn't hurt.

hears a pic o the HSF for anyone that may want to scope it.

vcardhsf.jpg

BTW....pls don't quote this post.....or we're gonna have PAGES ! lol

oh yeah....so after all this I reinstalled the HSF and put the rear cover w/ ramsinks back on and left the top cover off.

My chipset went up to 44c (drawing the free hot air from cards now)

My top Vcard stayed about 50c

But my bottom card now runs about 50c also.

If it makes you feel any better the DD block has the holes in it to re-install the stock heat spreader plate that initially comes on the back of the card to cover the naked memory (which I did). I put a very thin layer of AS5 over them and had never had an issue. My card never gets above 50c while gaming for hours on the highest settings and the clocks in my sig. You should be fine with the big boy ;)

awesome feedback everyone ! ! ! I think i've clicked the buy maze4 and the buy nv-78 sli buttons 2938293 times ! ! ! Going crazy.

Does anyone have any temps of the maze 4 setups ??

It would be nice to save the 100+ dollars and get the M4 But the NV sure does look nice

Looks like i'ma try the maze 4....hitandrun has twisted my arm enough. I'll report all sorts of ye olde info when I complete my project.....more than anything I hope it helps my chipset to get cooler air