Sign in to follow this  
leighrogers

Changeable MAC address?

Hey folks.

I notice that my DFI Expert appears to have a bios setting that allows the changing of a MAC address - Specifically allows user input??

Why is this? As far as I was aware MAC addresses were hardcoded into the NIC cards using a naming convention....

Further more - changing macs would mean criminals could change their pc's identity....

Any help, contributions or info??????

Thanks folks!

A specific MAC address is assigned to the integrated nVidia NIC.

The MAC address should have been included with the board via a small sticker.

I don't own one of these boards (yet), but logic suggests that the board can support a BIOS-level MAC spoof. Typically, this is MAC spoofing functionality comes built into routers (and most NICs support it within Windows). Since Ethernet uses the MAC address, and your NIC's MAC is never revealed to the Internet (if you're behind a router), it really doesn't matter what your local MAC is.

Back to the topic at hand, if you don't specify a MAC, most likely, it will use the MAC imprinted from the factory (which will follow that numbering convention mentioned earlier).