Sign in to follow this  
Guest cloud_171_merged

Why did my Idle temp jump?

Guest cloud_171

Hi, I just installed my Opteron 146 and for some reason it hiked up from 30 deg to 38 deg c. I don't think I applied my Arctic Silver 5 too well, would this be attributed to that? My room temperature has been pretty much been the same. Any ideas?

Definitely reseat the HS. Take your time when you put the AS5 on - there are two trains of thought on this: 1) just put a very small drop on the center of the IHS and then attach HS (this method is the one described on the web site and by AG), or 2) put a super thin layer over the whole IHS and then put a tiny drop (about the size of a half grain of rice) in the center of the IHS and then atach the HS. For both methods you need to mount the HS on evenly so the TIM is spread properly.

I used the latter because I wanted to make sure the TIM was all over the IHS. Mind you I only used a very small amout to smear (again about the size of a half grain of rice. Your choice.

Here are some links to check out

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20827

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Your temps should be around 29 - 30 degrees idle.

You also have to consider the burn in time for the AS5. Your temps will be higher at first until it sets in. I can't remember how many hours it is, but 1 week of being on 24/7 should do the trick I would think.