Sign in to follow this  
fariss

NetFlix

One thing you have to look at is how many videos you want per month and which ones.

You can go to a Block Buster store and get their movie a day for $15 or 2 movies a day for $20. This means that you could actually get 60 movies in one month for $20, and that includes new releases. You can even find better deals at competing video rentals places. This would be the best way to go if you just get an urge to watch a new movie that night, because you can just run up there and get that one. But they have a very limited selection if you're looking for your old favorites.

There's no way you could get that many online. And with thottling, you even have trouble getting the hot new releases when you're going for quantity. But at least you can get those hard to find movies. If it doesn't really matter when you have the movie, and you're looking for the hard to find ones, then online would be the better choice.

As far as online, I've heard that Netflix and Block Buster are the better ones. Now I don't want to go there, but your choice may be influenced by legal issues if you know what I mean. If you need to rent 3 discs a day then we know what you're doing. ;) Some people will start with one, online or brick and mortar, then switch to the other to cover everything.

You can go to a Block Buster store

and get their right wing conservative choices lol

as well as good luck trying to get complete seasons of television shows etc (we've checked out 3 local big blockbuster stores as well as hastings video stores)

And with thottling, you even have trouble getting the hot new releases when you're going for quantity

we've never had a problem getting a brand new release sent to us

I do however miss going to the local Hastings store and just wandering around browsing all the games, movies, music, etc =-(

Nearest BlockBuster is a hour away. Hence the NetFlix need.

I signed up for the free trial & received the movie in one day.

So far, so good.

On another note, does anyone know how to activate the 1394 connection on cable DVRs?

Nearest BlockBuster is a hour away. Hence the NetFlix need.

I signed up for the free trial & received the movie in one day.

So far, so good.

On another note, does anyone know how to activate the 1394 connection on cable DVRs?

LOL I'm still trying to get into my Motorola 6400 series HD cable box.

I have a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000. Somewhere I read that the 1394 connection was active but the manufacturer claims otherwise. Something about not being cost-effective to disable them so they just claim otherwise. But I need about a 30' cable to reach the computer to check.

Anyone know anything more?

BTW it's a Time Warner unit.

It would be great to be able to pull things from the unit's HD.