NetFlix

fariss

I've known a few people who use it and say it's great. If you watch a lot of movies, it's the best value out there. If you don't watch many, then you are better off getting them at a local shop or a Red Box. I rarely get to watch movies, so netflix isn't for me. Now if I had more time...

Ok, this is my nightmare I had with them;

I signed up for the free trial maybe 2-3 years ago, when they first came out. It said 2 week free trial, cancel before and you won't get charged. Picked my first few movies, they took a 9 days to get to me. I watched the movies 1-2 days later. One of the movies was scratched a little bit so I tried it anyways, but it crapped out on me in the last half hour of the movie, the other one looked like some 3 year old used it as a coaster for chocolate pudding and them chewed on it. No way was that going in my Marantz DVD player. I was still well within the free trial period, but I figured I better cancel, before I forgot and sent them back. So next time I checked my bank statements, It said they Netflix withdrew their basic service rate 3 times within 24 hours, I think it came out to $67 and change. My bank refunded me for 2 of the times (Commerece Bank kicks butt), because the branch manager said they should have caught that as suspicious activity. I tried to contact Netflix, but at the time there was no customer support number listed anywhere on their site, and I don't know if they have one now. I emailed them, but each time I got an automated answer email, that had a different woman's name on each one, but the rest of the emails' bodies were identical. Eventually I just gave up and just added it to the list of companies and people that ripped me off. (don't worry it's not an actual list)

I got the unlimited Blockbuster rentals now, that's great. basically same deal, but you pick up and drop off, I can go back and forth all day long, and get 2 or 3 movies at a time, or just keep them for however long. Can't beat that. Netflix might be better now, but I would never try them again.

Just be aware that netflix with throttle your service if you get a lot of movies from them. Read the fine print in the contract.

They reserve the right to make you wait longer for new movies to be shipped to you and will bump you down the list of requests for the most current releases.

They do this to make new users happy at the expense of people that have been with then for a long time. Basically, they will spend the same amount of money on an established account as they do on a new account. The will not let you take advantage of their service. They will always make sure they make their profit on your account.

But, at least they have the nads to say this in the contract.

link goodness...

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=local&id=3898425

"According to Netflix's own terms of use contract, if someone rents too many DVD's each month, the Netflix automated system could identify them as a heavy renter. If that happens, new releases don't arrive as quickly. Who will get them? Infrequent renters and new subscribers. Netflix has a fancy name for it: their Fairness Algorithm Formula. Critics simply call it throttling."

AG and I have had a really good experience with netflix. We spend as much with netflix in a once a month payment that we would at the video store in one visit.

We haven't really noticed much throttling with our movies and we are frequent renters because we get 3 movies at a time. We usually get 3 a week but sometimes, because we are pretty close to the delievery center in Salem, we get 6.

They have tons of movies to chose from and I personally like it because they have lots of fitness DVDs that I could have never found at places around here.

That's just my experience and I do know that there have been people, like with every company, who have had a bad one.

Any opinions on the NetFlix service?

as momma said, we love it. We pay $18 a month to get 3 vids at a time, and we read all about their 'throttling' and we still don't care.

We get about 9-15 disks a month from them, and so far have watched every single X-Files episode from Season 1 Episode 1 to Season 7 Episode 4...just waiting for Netflix to send the next disks in queue.

After X-Files, we'll be getting all of the Cartoon Network/Adult Swim stuff, along with the rest of the Kids in the Hall seasons, etc.

Netflix is a great place to get all of your tv series fixes ;) (we hardly ever get 'movies' from them, mostly tv stuff)

....After X-Files, we'll be getting all of the Cartoon Network/Adult Swim stuff, along with the rest of the Kids in the Hall seasons, etc. ....

Gotta love that Adult Swim, I wish Blockbuster had more of a non-mainstram selection. Are there any subscription sites that let you download movies legally?

Gotta love that Adult Swim, I wish Blockbuster had more of a non-mainstram selection. Are there any subscription sites that let you download movies legally?

I heard something on NPR about how Amazon is thinking about offering a service like this in conjunction with Paramount I believe.

They throttle service hard core and lie about it. I wasn't even a heavy renter but after your initial trial period they will throttle you to 3 movies or less a week if you're on the 3 out plan. More often than not you will recieve one movie on thursday/friday and two on monday etc. It annoyed me to the point where I felt it wasn't worth it anymore, especially after talking to extremely their rude and lying customer service.

They throttle service hard core and lie about it. I wasn't even a heavy renter but after your initial trial period they will throttle you to 3 movies or less a week if you're on the 3 out plan. More often than not you will recieve one movie on thursday/friday and two on monday etc. It annoyed me to the point where I felt it wasn't worth it anymore, especially after talking to extremely their rude and lying customer service.

but think about it

even at 3 movies a week, thats about $10+ at any regular vid store like Blockbuster and Hastings etc

12 movies a month = $40-ish

we usually get 15 a month

pretty good deal, throttling or not (besides, we can't always watch all 3 disks in 1 night and then send them back, and we do have a life that consists of more than waiting by the mailbox for our next 3 disks...)