Sign in to follow this  
jazzpicker

Computer cases

A year or so ago, compUsa had a rebate offer on a odd looking little case, Antec super lanboy. I think it was about thirty something dollars after all the pain in the butt rebates. I bought 2 and have used them with various computers I've built. Despite the huge purple lighted fan in front, the cases have room, ventilation and temps were always good.They have a great hard drive mounting system. One added feature, the big purple lighted fan attracted mosquitoes, sucked them into the vent and the fan killed them. A bug zapper and computer case rolled into one.

THis Christmas, I decided to upgrade to Lian Li cases after being jealous of all the Lian Li cases in the signatures here. I bought 2 lian Li 65B's one black and one silver. THey are really well constructed with thumb screws and appear to be good quality. THey have everything but ventilation. My temps have risen several degrees, the MB chipset fan is in an area of the case that has no airflow and the temps are always high. You can cook a chicken in one of the cases...I'll send one to George Foreman.

Guess I'll go back to my super lanboys, summer is coming and I can use the help with the mosquitos.

;)

dual purpose case...sweet...just a bummer when you see so many others with a different brand of case and you opt for one and it doesn't work as well as you'd like...sorry to hear man...

One added feature, the big purple lighted fan attracted mosquitoes, sucked them into the vent and the fan killed them. A bug zapper and computer case rolled into one.

Guess I'll go back to my super lanboys, summer is coming and I can use the help with the mosquitos.

;)

I wish I had read your review before I bought the antec p-180. I've got major mosqitoe problems! That'd be perfect.

Maybe I can rig a light to do the same thing.

The fan is blue not purple hehe. I love Antec cases because they use 120mm almost everywhere. I think its a shame lian Li uses 80mm still..

Ive owned the Super Lanboy, P160 and now the P180 all with steller airflow!

jazzpicker, I have the lian li 65b. I LOVE THE CASE. I'm getting EXTREMELY good airflow in my case. I couldn't imagine it getting any better than just having the side case completely off.

My gripe initially was the CASE FANS! They had no power to them. So i quickly grabbed a drill and widened ALL the screw holes and took off the plastic black clips that were in place. The result? Quiet-ER and improved airflow, especially from the front intake.

I purchased arctic cooling (so far the best cfm / noise ratio i've seen) fans all around. You might want to use a zalman fan mate at the top though b/c the cage can create some turbulence and sound disturbance w/ a high revving fan.

--unfortunetly i tried replacing my psu w/ these new fans and i think i broke my PSU! doh! Enter: OCZ powerstream =)--

I'd show you pictures but i have no digital camera. Its not tough to do and it only takes up 15 minutes of your time.

My current cpu (my sig) idles at 29c (26c w/ the case off) and doesn't load any higher than 39c on air. Chipset temps go from 32c idle to 37 load at 1.7v. Let me know if you try this and how it goes.

The fan is blue not purple hehe. I love Antec cases because they use 120mm almost everywhere. I think its a shame lian Li uses 80mm still..

Ive owned the Super Lanboy, P160 and now the P180 all with steller airflow!

All the new lian-li cases use 120mm fans.... what cases are you reffering to by saying "still"???????

THey have everything but ventilation. My temps have risen several degrees, the MB chipset fan is in an area of the case that has no airflow and the temps are always high. You can cook a chicken in one of the cases...I'll send one to George Foreman.

Interesting view, never had an issue with either of mine, watercooled or air.

Sorry it didn't work for you.

I had the same problem. Had a lian li PC65b and loved the case, but my temps (with a P4 mind you) were a little higher then I liked, no matter what I did. I ended up building my son a computer with that case and bought a TT Tsunami Dream. Lowered my temps by 3 - 5C and was quieter because of the 120mm fans. Of course, the build quality was nowhere near as good, but it was still a nice case. Now that case houses my LAN party box and I have a CM Stacker 830 which is the coolest case I've ever owned. Awesome build quality and the best airflow around... :D

Why don't you mod the cases for 120mm fans, maybe add a sidepanel fan across from the chipset. It's easy and fun, as long as you have a Dremel.

There are plenty of Lian Li cases w/ 120 mm fans.

I've never had any issues w/ any Lian Li case, heat or otherwise.

I never owned a Lian li, so I wouldn't know, but when I was shopping for cases, I have chosen against some lower end Lian Li cases because of the airflow.

Why don't you mod the cases for 120mm fans, maybe add a sidepanel fan across from the chipset. It's easy and fun, as long as you have a Dremel.

Can't, there isn't room because of the way the case is built (because of the removeable mobo tray). You could easily add a second 80mm fan in the back under the one that's there though... ;)