GRAPHICS CARD OVERCLOCKING (Nvidia cards)

d3M0n

Thanks AG... I always try to use any wildcards with the search argument, but it still give me a ton of results I don't want to get and I have to check them each manually; thats when the good dsl and rapid reading help a lot, but ewww if the forum is slow :(

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

eh? with what? Opties 146? thats low for such a massive overclock on the 7800GT...

my 7800GT @510/1220 + Venice 2.8 got about 4200 on 3Dm06........

Was running the 7800GT and Opty 146 at stock speeds - actual score was 3,552 @ 470/1100. That was before I went to the dark side and joined the rest of you overclocking, watercooling, volt-modding, timing adjusting, harware-frying fools. :shake:

Thanks Thunda! Look forward to hearing your review.

I have to sit and give it a good read.. But from the first glance it looks very good!!:nod:

Thanks for reminding us how to search there AG! :nod: I like the search here on the street and have never had any problem finding what I was looking for. If I ever have any ambiguous searches I just use the advanced search function and within 2-3 tries I usually get at least 3 threads on exactly what I want. :cool:

d3mon, you might want to add this link to your last section, seeing as how loads of people are grabbing 7900 series cards...

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=3330

Not for the faint of heart, especially in the GTX case. For me, I really want to do it but I might as well wait until I step up to whatever so I don't have to worry about voiding a warranty with the soldering... :cool:

Maybe this one too....be sure to put warning there though...don't want anybody getting all cranky about you being the cause of their fried card. :rolleyes:

http://www.vr-zone.com.sg/?i=757

The website is done by Shamino, who (as a world recordholder) apparently knows what he's doing and is a very good resource for those interested in taking their overclocking abilities to the limit.

Thanks for the links there technodanvan. I added the hard volt mod basics, 7800GT, 7800GTX, and the 7900GT/GTX hard volt mod links. If anyone else can think of any links that might be good to put in there then let me know.

PS- How's THAT for a warning???? LOL!! :nod: :shake: :nod: Think they'll get the message?

d3mon, you might want to add this link to your last section, seeing as how loads of people are grabbing 7900 series cards...

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=3330

Not for the faint of heart, especially in the GTX case. For me, I really want to do it but I might as well wait until I step up to whatever so I don't have to worry about voiding a warranty with the soldering... :cool:

Maybe this one too....be sure to put warning there though...don't want anybody getting all cranky about you being the cause of their fried card. :rolleyes:

http://www.vr-zone.com.sg/?i=757

The website is done by Shamino, who (as a world recordholder) apparently knows what he's doing and is a very good resource for those interested in taking their overclocking abilities to the limit.

Hi

Great Guide!!! :shake:

(though i have an ATI card, its great anyway)

Sounds very interesting especially the section with the Bios

Does anyone know if Bios modding is aviable/ has any use on ATI Cards???

@D3M0n:

What settings in Bios did you change to get out more performance?

Is there any use in Editing Ram Timings to get out more mhz?

What clocks were you able to reach before/after flashing to your "CustomBios"?

Greetins :shake:

I'm sure there is a bios flashing and an editing program for ATI cards as well. Just do a google search for it and you'll probably find programs very similiar to the ones I outlined in my guide.

You just have to experiment for your card. There are different bios versions that may work better with your card, just as there are different bios versions that may work better with your motherboard.

As for the settings you just have to experiment with those as well. You can try higher or lower clockspeeds on the GPU/RAM to see if on certain bioses those will allow you to acheive better OC results. You can try tweaking the voltages in the bios to see if that helps. You can use looser RAM timings to get more speed out of the RAM just as in the motherboard bios if that gives you better performance. As I said, you just have to experiment and see what will work for your card. There aren't any magic settings that will give you the biggest overclock ever. There is just your very own trial and error. That is why all of this stuff is done at your own risk! LOL!

BTW- My 7800GTX 256Mb is an eVGA KO Edition, so my clocks before doing anything to it were 490/1300 w/ 40GDC. Without bios mod I could get up to about 510/1340 w/40GDC. After bios mod my best results were with a different bios version with the clocks set @ 470/1320 w/60GDC. I could still overclock it to about 510/1340, but it was going 20MHz faster because of the GDC. Got 5160 on 3Dmark06. :D

Hi

Great Guide!!! :shake:

(though i have an ATI card, its great anyway)

Sounds very interesting especially the section with the Bios

Does anyone know if Bios modding is aviable/ has any use on ATI Cards???

@D3M0n:

What settings in Bios did you change to get out more performance?

Is there any use in Editing Ram Timings to get out more mhz?

What clocks were you able to reach before/after flashing to your "CustomBios"?

Greetins :shake:

yo dem0n... just thought i drop in to mention the BEST artifact tester :D which u forgot to mention.... this program manage to boils ur vga card within seconds once u kick in 16xAA and 1024x768 res. and the best thing is it takes seconds to load and it runs in a window (unless u set it to go fullscreen but unless u got SLI/Crossfire, u wont lol)

http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/

rthdribl. highly recommedned to test on artifacts or temps... to see ur max volts.

1 more thing, i check ur 1st post, and omg, u got voltmod for 7900series!!! W00T!! ive read reviews where the 7900GT is a crazy overclocker but IT LACKS VOLTAGES! lol. im getting mine from a step up from evga next week, im so gonna bust the warranty on a first day lol.

nice find ;)

ugh...nvm... found out that 7900GT has an overvolt protection that kicks in at 1.3v. comin from default 1.28, it doesnt give out much lol. will update once i kno how to turn this off ;)

but without voltmod, it can reach 550, so its good...

d3MOn,

Thanks Alot for this guide. After working out the bugs with my new build, Ive decided to try and get a moderate OC on my 7800gt. This guide here is so good, I really dont need to go anywhere else. Keep up the good work MOn.

Thanks Dragoe! Hope you have fun overclocking your video card!

d3MOn,

Thanks Alot for this guide. After working out the bugs with my new build, Ive decided to try and get a moderate OC on my 7800gt. This guide here is so good, I really dont need to go anywhere else. Keep up the good work MOn.

@ Redbeaver-

Yes, rthdribl 1.2 is one of the best programs out there for stress testing your video card. It will definitely take your temp as high as it will go and if the temp is as hot as it gets and there is still no artifacting, then you definitely have a stable overclock! I too fully endorse the use of this program. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Hi guys, I was going to start playin with Nibitor a bit.

I have 2 7800Gts in SLi (1 asus and 1 Point Of Wiew) and i would like to try a little overvolt. A few questions:

Do u think I can safely flash the POW bios on my Asus card?

What is the max voltage considered safe for my cards (excluding hw modding)?

Do u think is better to disable GEometric Delta clock to improve oc and general performance?