New motherboard = Higher CPU Temperatures

I have just changed my motherboard from an A8N Deluxe to a DFI Nf4 Sli DR and my CPU temperatures have increased by quite a lot. On the A8N my Idle CPU temp was around 26C, now it is 32C. The load temp on my A8N was 36C now it is 46C.

Here are a few possible culprits which I think may be the cause:

1)On the A8N the CPU is positioned in front of the exhaust fan on my case, but in the DFI mobo, the CPU is shifted 3 inches and so is towards the bottom of the exhaust fan.

2)I changed my TIM to AS5 (which I thought would lower my temps!), maybe I applied it wrongly (although I thought I had done a good job at the time.

3)The temperature sensors are wrond on one of the boards

Does anyone know what the cause/solution is?

did you follow these directions???

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

if not, reapply your as5 correctly. Also its VERY important you clean off the previous thermal compound you used with Isotopic? alchohol. Get a huge bottle of that stuff at walmart for like $1.00. Then use it to make moonshine after :-).

Also not having the cpu right in front of the exhaust fan could be a reason why your previous temps were so much lower. Why dont you try removing the fan and putting it fight infront of your cpu as before. If that lowers your temps then you know its the culprit.

Thats just about close to the temperatures I have . Don't worry about it .

Load temp on fourty something is very good .

It's also a possibility that the Asus calibration of the cpu temp offset was a tad off as those temps you had on the Asus looks riddicilously low .

The problem with moving the exhaust fan is that the holes in my case would not be directly behind the fan, therefore it would not be sucking the hot air out of the case.

I think I will reapply the AS5 with a smaller amount this time, maybe that will help.

Although 47C isnt too bad, it is still too high for my liking.

The problem with moving the exhaust fan is that the holes in my case would not be directly behind the fan, therefore it would not be sucking the hot air out of the case.

I think I will reapply the AS5 with a smaller amount this time, maybe that will help.

Although 47C isnt too bad, it is still too high for my liking.

If 47c under load is not to your liking, then you need to invest in better cooling. Like water or phase cooling. i dont think you'll ever really be happy on air. Unless maybe you keep your pc in the frig.

Its "isopropyl" I think ;) 47c under load is a decent temp for aircooling. On aircooling remember to keep a negative airflow in your case (more output airflow than input) so that any "dead spots" will have air circulated through them. Remember to not overdo the as5, that would hurt more than help. I use Ceramique, but I'm on watercooling (24 idle, 30 load, whoo ;) )

Hope I helped

[ishbuu]

did you follow these directions???

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

if not, reapply your as5 correctly. Also its VERY important you clean off the previous thermal compound you used with Isotopic? alchohol. Get a huge bottle of that stuff at walmart for like $1.00. Then use it to make moonshine after :-).

Isoproyl alcohol...aka rubbing alcohol. Isotopes are dangerous...and will surely kill the organic compound ON the cpu...which wouldn't be good ;)

IF he's had the AS5 on there for a while, and he's getting higher temps, he SHOULD think about cleaning off the cpu a bit, as he may have put too much. As for the stuff left on the heatsink, he can spread it around a bit and it'll be fine.

Isotopes are having more neutrons than the normal atoms, I'll use hydrogen as an example. Hydrogen has 3 isotopes, the first has 0 neutrons (99.985% of hydrogen atoms are of this type) and is stable. The second isotope has 1 neutron. 0.015% of hydrogen atoms are of this type. This isotope is also stable, although *very* uncommon. The last isotope has 2 neutrons, and this one is radioactive. It also has a half-life of about 12 years (give or take a month). So as a wild generalization saying isotopes are dangerous is wrong, since its only a measure of how many neutrons are in an atom. Ehm.... this probably didn't help him get his temps down much.... did it?

[ishbuu]

its called different sensors...

my board reports a little high, i assume i have always been on the higher side of temps.

the 3000+ venice was reported higher on this mobo than i believe...

and now my 165 seems reporting higher than it is ..

or other mobos report lower.

i also have good cooling and airflow so im pretty sure that the sensors are off..

i bet if u bought a diff DFi board the temps would be different once again.. dont worry about it.

Right...I have spent the last couple of hours removing the HSF, cleaning the CPU and HSF with isoproply alcohol, reapplying a rice sized amount of AS5, then reattaching the HSF. I turned my computer back on and the temps are still not to my liking. I am idling at about 32C and loading at around 48-50C! (does a 20C change seem strange?)

I don't know what to do now! The DFI expert has the CPU positioned directly in front of the exhaust fan like with the A8N, but I dont think I want to go though the hassle of selling my Sli DR (which I have owned for about 4 days) and buying an expert, especially if this doesnt solve the problem.

What can I do???

I moved my FX-57 from my ABIT, to my DFI. Didn't touch the AS5, just drag and drop as i was selling the other computer to a buddy, and uh, I wanted to keep my FX. Well on the DFi board, my temperatures rose immediatly to 5-7c above what I was normally getting on the ABIT, while having an Additional fan blowing on it. No reason to jump, didn't add any as5, just 5-7 degrees constant above the idle and load temps of my ABIT. Which leads me to believe it's the temperature sensor.