Sign in to follow this  
CounterSpell

Processors have a slow death?

Ok, here is the deal. I have my AMD 4000+ OC to 2.8ghz and it has been running flawless for almost 3 months now I guess. I have it water cooled so the temps stay good. Well, just last monday I started crashing while playing EQ2. At first I blamed EQ2 since I didnt crash often and it happened maybe once every two or three days. Well today I just wanted to ease my mind of the subject and run Prime95. I use to be able to pass an easy 14+ hrs of prime. Well, I left off to work and when I got back I got an error after 2hrs and 11 mins.. It also said Hardware failure detected. I have not been recieving any BSOD, and my RAM is Mushin Redline 3-3-2-8, standard is 250mhz, I have it underclocked to 233mhz... Even my AMD's speed to and easy 2.8.

So what could have caused this sudden error problems and crashing? Do processor start failing? Or are they like a fuse and they just go, no slowness, it works or it doesn't. I figure since that is the only thing OCed... Maybe the MB perhaps? Heck, this is the second one.. I had to send the first one back cause it went out on me.

Another possibility. I upped the voltage of my processor by .01 ( i had crashing a long time ago while OCing and .01 was all i needed to increase to eliminate the problem ). I know it isn't much, but could it be that my Power supply is dieing and not providing the same amount of power? I am running primes again with this voltage increase... Any Ideas?

Dude, I'll be honest.

The PSU may not be the problem.

However, it's STUPID to use a cheap PSU with such high-end parts.

If that thing fries it will take everything with it.

I don't really need to know what works.. I was just wanting to know if processors start causing problems if you OC them... I mean everything worked fine for about 3 months and I am just randomly getting problems.. my question is: Are processors like fuses? do they start causing problems then die, or do they just die? I am asking this because I have a hardware issue and I want to narrow down the problem. I don't have any others comp parts to do testing with.... I figured if might have been the PSU going bad, but maybe not.. still running prime atm.

I don't really need to know what works.. I was just wanting to know if processors start causing problems if you OC them... I mean everything worked fine for about 3 months and I am just randomly getting problems.. my question is: Are processors like fuses? do they start causing problems then die, or do they just die? I am asking this because I have a hardware issue and I want to narrow down the problem. I don't have any others comp parts to do testing with.... I figured if might have been the PSU going bad, but maybe not.. still running prime atm.

CPUs can die in a variety of ways so there's no telling what's happening yet.

It's kinda hard to help you troubleshoot until you get a proper PSU. Bad power can cause all kinds of random problems.

There are many forum members that resolved stability problems by getting a proper PSU. Even if your processor is actually dying, it's best to get a new PSU to make sure it doesn't cause the same thing to happen to a new CPU.

Thanks guys for the input, but I was wondering if processors get worse before they die..

Yes they can. But they can just as easily die outright.

Sorta like going over a cliff. Sometimes they hang on for a while before they drop.

Just to relay my experance with slow decay of an over clock. Have a barton, first it worked fine at 2.1ghz overclock. then slowly over time the temp starts to get higher and i get crashes, Lower clock to 2ghz, stable yet again, more time goes by 6-8mo, it becomes more problematic. lower it to 1.9ghz now its stable again but my core temps are slowly rising yet again. overing around 55c under full load.

I have reseated the proc and heatsink several time to make sure it wasn't comming loose after the temps starting spiking. so i must agree that some cpus slowly decay over time espically when overclocked. but normally they outlive there lifespan anyway (i will upgrade before it decays too far).

my 2cents.

War

PS if you overclocked then you voided your warrently thus can't call amd for replacement.