Sign in to follow this  
Ringiho

X2 Missing a core

Not sure how that works, but there must be information on their own website, or check the brochure that came with your CPU in the package....

Just to summarize:

In device manager

Under computer: Should state ACPI Multiprocessor

Under Processors: Should state AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core processor

If the above are true, go to task manager, performance, view, CPU History, One graph per CPU

Post back

Please help guys!

I have just built my new system and it has been running fine for just over a month. I recently recased it to a Coolermaster Stacker R830 ever since then I have had a problem. My X2 only seems to be running on one core :confused:

Did you verify before moving to the new case that both cores were working? When you made the switch, did you remove the processor from it's socket on the mainboard? If you did, check the CPU to make sure you didn't accidentally bend any pins in the process. Double check all your connections. If nothing else helps, take the board back out of the case, lay it on it's anti-static bag and hook everything up and try running it that way to see what happens.

when you first switch on the computer if you have the full screen logo show option in the BIOS disabled you will be able to see how many CPU's the BIOS detects on the right of the screen inline with the the name of your chip for example yours should be like below

Athlon X2 4400 Dual Core Proccessor ,2 CPU's

if this shows only 1 CPU then that will confirm a hardware problem either with Mobocpu my bet would be on the cpu if it shows 2 CPU's then the problem is probably software try booting from a linux live CD such as knoppix and check how many CPU's it detects

@ boatasiaus: I have already verified all of that. Definatly is right, posted some screenies on the first page with settings etc.

@ century child: When I recased it the motherboard and CPU stayed together. Didnt remove them at all. But surely if it wasnt inserted correctly it wouldnt work at all?

Before I recased it, it definatly worked ok. I am going to bring the CPU to work to test with our software. Got a board here so might try and see if we can get it working on 2 cores on another board.

Might try and re-seat the CPU and try running it out of the case to see whats going on with it. Cheers for the ideas guys.

Any others? :)

Edit: @ Dynomutt: Yep it definatly says 2 CPU's in the BIOS/POST. Couldnt that just be the CPU identity, and the motherboard displaying it?

Edit2: Will run the machine out of the case tomorrow. A motherboard has been grabbed out of the wharehouse for me to test my CPU with. Will run some tests to see whats up.

So is it likely to be Windows? Or a possible hardware failure?

Here the same problem :(

tried a new bios update en the all the drivers.

i couldn't install the quick'n quiet drivers, they say the system only has 1 cpu...

Here the same problem :(

tried a new bios update en the all the drivers.

i couldn't install the quick'n quiet drivers, they say the system only has 1 cpu...

Ah I am glad someone else has got the problem. Means its not just mean being an idiot. Well I'll let you know how the tests go tomorrow at work. Give the CPU a good testing here :nod: :cool:

Do you have any other problems with it? Does the BIOS say 2 CPUs? Have you run the 'AMD Dashboard'?

Well I might have a look at that.

Gives me the feeling that its windows being stupid :mad: dammit microsoft! Sort yourselfs out

sorry but although I suggested it I am not that linux savvy, I will post a link to this thread @ Tech Report cos there is some good guys there and sure they will be happy to help will edit shortly with linkage to the thread.

EDITLinkage

Is your bro's cpu a dual core cpu or just hyperthreaded. Windows Task Manager treats multiple instruction pipelines as "CPU"s although there really isn't another CPU.

P4 3.06 HT as i mentioned not a real Dual Core, just an old cpu, hehe.