X2 Missing a core

I strongly suggest you get ahold of AMD and get some support. It sure sounds like a dead core to me, but I am no expert. They should be able to diagnose it and if it is bad, get your RMA going.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I strongly suggest you get ahold of AMD and get some support. It sure sounds like a dead core to me, but I am no expert. They should be able to diagnose it and if it is bad, get your RMA going.

Any links or do I go direct to AMDs site?

I have tried the BIOS suggested earlier and clearing the CMOS but with no change...

Hopefully they are quick with RMA's I dont have another 939 CPU :(

They are both there, but no software detects the 2nd core.

system4wf.th.jpg

Both cores are there, apparently, but cant detect them let alone use them.

Ideas? :confused:

Edit: Any ideas what the unknown device is? Cant find out what it is!!!

It seems that Windows is detecting it, but it's not showing up.

One more thing to check in the device manager--sorry I didn't mention this earlier. Click on "Computer" in the device manager. It should say "ACPI Multiprocessor PC". If it doesn't, then right click>update driver.

Hm, here's something else I found:

Right click on my computer and select properties. On the Advanced tab click on the Environment Variables button near the bottom. Look for a system variable called NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS and see if it says 2 or 1. If it says 1 then double click and change it to 2 and reboot.

Might want to give that a shot.

The only other advice I can offer is just to see if the CPU is working normally, but just not showing up. If you haven't already, then download two instances of SuperPi and put them in two seperate directories. Run both making sure to set the affinity--if you can--and see if it finishes and how long it takes it. If it works, then I don't know what else to tell you.

Well changing the amount of CPU's doesnt work. Just resets back to 1 after the reboot.

Let me just try SuperPi... but I cant set the affinity

Well I cant use the 2nd core... tried setting it from 1 to 2 and it doesnt work. Is this a software issue? or is the CPU having problems?

Do you know if AMD have a testing program? Or how I can contact them?

I've had enough for today! Bedtime.. work tomorrow :mad:

Cheers for your help. Hope you can think of some more things!

Well I have been trying to avoid that, if possible.

I have contacted AMD about the CPU and I am hoping they can come up with a solution. Do AMD do direct RMA's or do I send it to the place I bought it?

Cheers