Sign in to follow this  
Jangor

Everyday overclock

I am trying to oc my system to be that much quicker but still be a daily reliable workhorse for my job.

So far I am quite happy with my cpu oc at 2.4 which keeps still quite cool under load on air and keeping c&q enabled so it idles in the comfort zone. (did it by giving it +10% Vcore which dinamically ramps up when the multiplyer increases - great dfi feature - but you probably know)

I was just wondering if i can maybe go up to 2.5.

What would i have to take care of to be sure that it will not die on me suddently?

Vcore up to 1.5 and load temp up to 50°c?

What am i risking apart from instability (which i can check with prime95, superpi, occt , memtest)? Shortening lifetime (how much)?

And about the ram (2gb set of ocz 3200 platinum -> sig) now it is running stock by memory divider but i had it stable at 250 3-3-2-8 2.7v and 218 2.5-3-2-5 2.7.

What would you guys think is a reasonable oc for this ram again not to have it sudden death on me (does that happen for ram?), and what would i have to take care of, considering i dont have a way to measure ram temps?

Case has fair ventilation with PWM at 53°C and NF4 at 39°C, both under load and passive sinks.

Thanks!

I would keep your CPU Load under 50c, also you might want to do some reading. There is alot of helpfull articles in this forum. By overclocking you already shorten life expectansy of the cpu, but with proper cooling should last you for years. Try to find out your Max OC with the default Vcore. This will give you an idea how far you may want to OC your chip.

Set an OC goal and make sure it is with-in reach with given hardware. The best way to go is always cooler and lower volt. If you can get away keeping your volt as low as possible with out sacrificing stability then you are ok.

Here's a good read.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28049

I see yu have cool&quite mentioned in your sig...is it what you mean by C&Q? if so make sure you disable it when you start ocing if you have it enabled...

Hey thanks, but the way i am using cool and quiet works really well with ocing.

Just to bump the thread and clarify my question: i read various threads about ocing and know the basics and the approach.

The question was rather (apart from stability and how to get there) :

can I run a ddr400 ram at ddr480 and expect it to last a reasonable time, say a year or will it start making trouble sooner or later? is, say 440, more reasonable?

Experience reports would be very apperciated!

Anyway thanks a lot!

Unless you increase the voltage, the effect on making a component run faster is pretty much harmless.

If you want to kill your processor continue to use that Cool&Quiet feature! I see that your system has potential, but you can run into alot of problems if you're not sure what you're doing? How is that SeaSonic treating you with that Motherboard?

Just curious about *the way* you are using c&q..?

And yea, you are not gonna make the lfe shorter by running fast...its the voltage and the heat that makes the difference... But I would highly doubt it will die out in a year..unless you are really unlucky... have seen people going more than 1.8v... I am really not sure how that will do, but still with proper cooling you will have no problem going for a year...

And about the ram (2gb set of ocz 3200 platinum -> sig) now it is running stock by memory divider but i had it stable at 250 3-3-2-8 2.7v and 218 2.5-3-2-5 2.7.

What would you guys think is a reasonable oc for this ram again not to have it sudden death on me (does that happen for ram?), and what would i have to take care of, considering i dont have a way to measure ram temps?

If your mem is stable at 250 and your CPU at 240 go for an 1:1 OC.

can I run a ddr400 ram at ddr480 and expect it to last a reasonable time, say a year or will it start making trouble sooner or later?

If you don't increase the voltage and high frequency is the only stress factor it will last much more than a year.

Anyhow, try to test your stability using dual prime+3DMark on looping mode for a couple of hours monitoring your temperatures.

@ Mack27

How would cool & quiet kill the cpu faster?

S12 600w is working without problems from what i could see in the last couple of stress testing days.

@ madu

*the way* i am using it is this:

i checked that my cpu needs just over 1.45v to be stable at 240fsb x 10.

I could just get the vcore to that value if i wanted to just overclock to 240x10=2400mhz. But the vcore and multi get changed by c&q according to load.

Usually without oc and fsb at 200, c&q puts the multi to the full 10 and the vcore to 1.35 under load and reduces multi to 5 and vcore to 1v in idle with this cpu.

If i oc the fsb to 240 to get the cpu to 240x10=2400mhz and i set the vcore in bios to 1.4v, the next time c&q throttles the multi and vcore to 5x/1v i get 5x240 1200mhz/1v which might work in idle.

But when then it senses load and puts the multi back up to 10 it will only put the vcore to 1.35v, which with the fsb of 240 wil give 2400/1.35v which is not stable.

So if i instead leave the vcore be, since i can not control the way it is changed by c&q, but use the bios option to always overvolt by 10%, i will be idle at 240x5=1200mhz/1v+10%=1.1v and load 240x10=2400mhz/1.35v+10%=1.48v which is both stable.

By the way if you oc with reduced multi, say 9x, you can also specify it in bios as the max multi to ramp up to for c&q.

Is there anything wrong or risky with this method? Is it an added stress for the cpu when c&q ramps it up and down?

@ blick

thanks, that is the kind of info i am looking for.

Would it go along with what you say that adding 0.1v to my ram (stock 2.6v) to reach 2.7 to make it be stable at 240 (or 250 if i can get the cpu to that), this combination of slight overvolt and added frequency stress should still not be too risky?

Would I need to monitor the temps on the ram to be really sure?

Would it go along with what you say that adding 0.1v to my ram (stock 2.6v) to reach 2.7 to make it be stable at 240 (or 250 if i can get the cpu to that), this combination of slight overvolt and added frequency stress should still not be too risky?

I think you'll be ok.

Would I need to monitor the temps on the ram to be really sure?

No, just test your stability.

Disable Cool and Quiet first of all then work your way around increasing the HTT without incresing any voltages...only increase the voltage a bit when the cpu becomes unstable...my chip is weird....I can increase the HTT to 240 without ANY increase in voltage whasoever, then if I want 250HTT, I have to increase the vcore to 1,41V

HTT260 is uncharted territory for me since I can boot into windows but at the moment I start prime95 on both cores the system freezes, no matter what voltage I put in....I didn't wanna go higher than 1,55, so I just gave up....