Upgrading/modding My Pc

il8

hi. ive looked through this entire website and all this is great. best modding website ive seen in a long long long time.

i got a computer about a year and a half ago. P4 1.72ghz, 512 mb RAM, GeForce 4 Ti4400, winxp pro. its served me well for a while, but now i need more. im more of a software junkie than a hardware one, i really dont know that much about hardware. im looking to upgrading my pc's RAM, and going to mod my case. First of all, can someone tell me first, how do i find out what kind of ram i have in windows xp, i mean, i can see how much i have, but how do i know what kind i have (rdram, ddram, sdram). cause i wasnt the one that bought it, so i dont know what kind it is. (im guessing its dr). second, what would be the best way to go in buying ram right now. should i buy 512 mb more to make a 1024? what would be the best way to go in terms of cost and performance. third, i am wondering, does the computer's performance depend on the cooling and air ventelation inside of the computer? does messiness of wires and dust decline the performance of the computer? i was thinking of cutting a window on the side of my case, and then add a vent on the top of my case. then, maybe add a new fan. would that make a difference in the performance of my computer? and how do i go about cutting the window. what tools should i use that i could buy at a local hardware store? also, if i actually buy a case instead of modding the one i have now, does it matter what model of my computer i have now; because im wondering how the power buttons will work if they are not aligned with the new cases' power buttons. one more thing, if i overclock my video card (i have done it before), should i buy a new fan and put it on top of the video card somehow. i just dont understand how i should align/place the fan to cool the video card.

thanks alot in advance.

Edited by il8

first search these forums....there is an answer to every one of your questions somewhere out there :rolleyes:

Sandra will tell you what type of memory you have

the best mem to get is a dual-channel ram.... but your mainboard must support it

the cooling affects your perfomance if you overclock....the higher the temps the lower your overlclock...you sample you gave would be a decent setup for cooling......search the formus for better cooling ideas

btw welcome to the club! :D

Edited by Hades25

When upgradeing your ram you need to find out what kkind of ram your mother board takes and also what the speed of the ram is, you also need to find out what that max ammout of ram it can handel per module. Cooling and keeping the wires neat an as dust free as possable also helps. The more air flow there is the cooler it will run and the more performance you can get from your stytem. As for your case, Im assuneing you dont know how to cut a window. There are many nice cases out there pre moded with windows and more fan ports. The newer cases have a fan in the back of the case above the agp port and that helps to keed your gfx card nice and cool. Im pretty shure your Mother board is an ATX, so just about any case will do. The Buttons are connected to the mother board on jumpers and are compatable with any ATX case. As to finding out what brand and model you mother boad is you can check in the bios or down load a program like 3DMark, and It will give you a list of all your system parts. Hopes this helps ya, good luck.

hmm thanks alot!

one thing, about finding out what type my motherboard is, 3dmark is a huge file, does anyone know how i can find out what type it is without the huge prog?

i think there is a prog for that (3dmark is not one) but the best way to start modding/building/anything is to take your gateway/hp/dell and take everything apart... everything! and if you have to put some postids on wires if you worry about where they are suppose to go. but take everything apart (u will then know what mobo you have) then put it all back together.

i did that once and been building ever since.

k guys thanks for the help.

one more thing, what would be the best core and ram values that i should overclock my GeForce 4 ti4400 with no added on fans or ventilation? Im asking because im scared to burn it by accident. thanks.

$ffffffffff NVIDIA specific display adapter information

$ffffffffff ---------------------------------------------------

$0100000000 Graphics core

Edited by il8