NF4 drivers

Hi what's the best nforce drivers to install on nforce4 Ultra-D Mobo? i installed all things except the audio cause I use a SB audigy, I disabled it in BIOS and still have devices conflicts and it is always detecting new devices on boot. And other thing is I got that showed in the screenshot device7jf.th.jpg. that is my hitachi hard drive, why is it there? any ideas? Thanks

Its just a new utitlity function built in to the drivers. Something like hotswap for removing a harddrive, so it lists any harddrives you have in the system. It can be handy for some people and doesn't affect anything.

The newest drivers at Nvidia.com worked quite well with mine. I've had both the DFI listed nf4 drivers and the newest one released from Nvidia. No difference really. Its up to you to want to go with DFI latest, or nvidia latest.

I would go with the nVidia drivers on www.nvidia.com.

Make sure _not_ to install the IDE SW driver, the Network Manager and the Hardware Firewall. They can all cause problems (you will get special popups during the driver installation for all the things I mentioned, so just go ahead and install as usual). I have heard that the IDE SW drivers have been fixed for some time, but I am not going to be the one to find out. ;)

And as said earlier, that icon is for hotswapping. Basically, that means that you can use that icon to prepare the drive to be removed while the computer is still turned on. It is useful for external harddrives and such, but can be a bit irritating with internal drives. Not sure if it is possible to turn it off or permanently hide the icon though.

Guest squidge
Make sure _not_ to install the IDE SW driver, the Network Manager and the Hardware Firewall. They can all cause problems (you will get special popups during the driver installation for all the things I mentioned, so just go ahead and install as usual). I have heard that the IDE SW drivers have been fixed for some time, but I am not going to be the one to find out.

The IDE SW drivers work fine now, but the Network Manager/Firewall is still crap. Not used a NF4-based board before so just installed everything on the supplied CD, and then took ages to figure out why my email client didn't work...

Yes it is, no point in have that there is it's an internal drive. well, it's my only internal hard drive...

The icon has nothing to do with internal or external. The Safely Remove Hardware Icon is there because of the OS and Drivers. SATA drivers support removable drives.

You can not remove a drive with the OS running on it so don't worry about that.

Go to add / remove software and select Nvdia drives.

Select remove only this driver and remove IDE-sw driver.

Re boot and you should be fine.

Windows XP drivers for HDs will be loaded and you will not see that message again.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest LithoTech
Go to add / remove software and select Nvdia drives.

Select remove only this driver and remove IDE-sw driver.

Re boot and you should be fine.

Windows XP drivers for HDs will be loaded and you will not see that message again.

Can I do this if I've used the NVRAID for my raid array? This is my first raid, striped 64, and I'm new to all this.

I have enough icons in my tray as it is, the last thing I need is another one that sits there for no reason at all except to occupy more pixels.

I just finished a pretty much whole day of finagaling to get my first raid set up, and finally got it working after a lot of reading here, a little misdirection, and a lot of confusion, and then several interuptions for silly things like eating. :eek2:

The whole issue is complicated by me because I restored a ghost image after the fact, and then had to repair XP to get the raid drivers back in.

Once XP was running on the raid, I installed the nforce 6.70, but only the IDE-SW.

I still have some issues I've been noting, and I'll look into them tomorrow, hopefully find a solution and fix them before coming here to find more help.

But this icon was almost number one on my list, it's driving me nutz, I want it out of there! :sad:

Guest LithoTech
Sorry, don't mean to hijack but what is so bad about the forceware Firewall?

I've no idea whatsoever. I'm only speculating, but I'd say that it interfears with your internet conection causing lag and cut-outs, generally lousy connection issues.

I've no use for it, so didn't even consider installing it anyway. I've got a firewall in my router, and depending on the PC I have Windows Firewall or ZoneAlarm Pro. Compound that with a few good security habits, and I defy anyone to break through.

If you want to see how much stuff is hitting you, even though virtually all of it may be innocent, try the BlackIce firewall trialware, it has a pretty verbose logging feature. I never bought into it because it requires way too much babysitting or tweaking to be automatic. ZoneAlarm is just about fire and forget.