Sign in to follow this  
Pocky

Opty 165 doesn't wanna OC

ey guys- here is the deal-

As the thread title states, my Opty 165 doesn't seem to want to OC... I have my-

-LDT multi at 2x

-RAM ratio at 100MHz (1/02)

-CPU multi at 9

-Voltage at stock

I started as I usually do upping the HTT in 10MHz increments, until I got to 250HTT (which I got to fine...Prime95 stable) in which case I used 5MHz thereafter. I can get to 255 x 9 Prime95 stable with stock voltage, but 260 x 9 = 2340, one core fails almost immediately. No problem right- I'll just up the voltage...wrong. Upped the voltage the 1.45 and same stuff... failing at 2340.

Any insight as to what is going on is much appreciated.

Specs:

Opteron 165

EPoX 9NPA+Ultra

2GB GSkill Extreme Series HZ (3-4-4-8-T1)

500W Antec Smartpower

Heat. Try reseating your HSF, and make sure that contact is even... these cores are doublesized so you gotta make sure you cover enough but only enough to get it cooled right. Dual cores are such a PITA to cool correctly, and for whatever reason. :

I just reseated the heatsink w/ new thermalpaste and I'm seeing maybe a 2C temperature drop... although I think my temperature sensors are reading high.

My stepping is CCBWE 0551UPMW.

Anyone know anything about that stepping?

I think the days of the Opty (165) overclocking at stock or 1.45v are over. My 165 runs at 2.7Ghz (dual core prime stable) but only with 1.65v as reported by MBM5. Mind you, I'm using swiftech Apex watercooling - 44C idle and 52C under max load with both fans at high. I have the fans off below 45c and at max at 50c.

I should point out that I can run at lower voltages fine, do work in Win64, play games......but to prime for more that 5 hours stable or run climate prediction (dual core) where accuracy is required, then I need 1.65v to do the job.

Hope that helps

Mine goes to about 2.3Ghz on stock voltage, then it needs about 1.4 for 2.4 then needs 1.46 at 2.5, and hits a wall there. Also, removing the IHS is said to help these chips as they are thermally bottlenecked to a great degree... removing the IHS can lop as much as 10C off these chips. Afterall, you got two 3000+'s with twice the cache crammed in there. :

I just got a 165 this week. I got to 2.5 ghz last night on "stock" cooling by doing the following:

a) Replaced the fan on the stock HS with a higher flow panaflow

B) Placed a second fan so that it blows on the PWMIC. That was actually really easy as I used the 2 wholes on the R side of the HSF and attached a another fan using the L two wholes, so they are stacked like this.

.....................[----PWMIC Fan----]

[-----HS Fan---]

-----------------

|...Heatsink.......|

|.....................|

-----------------

3) I incresaed the Voltage to 1.4

Please forgive the asci thing....I still don't know how to make asci text where there are spaced at the beginning. Those spaces always get deleted in the actual post.

just got my new opty 165, it is a ccbwe 0551 vpmw.

im at 2700 mhz , 1.52 vcore, with 1024 mb at 250 mhz, asincronus.

just done 9 hours of prime...

the funny fact is that at 2.6 ghz it need 1.48 vcore to be stable on double prime..

i think 1.52 for an extra 100 mhz it wort the deal.

what do you think?

Patience is needed to get the most out of your Opterons. I moved to watercooling about a month ago. Before that I used an XP-120 with a SilenX fan, had it prime stable at 1,43vcore, temps at 54-55c with full load. Then I changed to watercooling, and had to increase vcore to 1,47 for prime stability. but temps where at 48-50. After trying to push it to [email protected],47 for a forthnight I gave up and reduced frequency to 2600 again. But then it was prime stable at 1,43vcore again. Now a forthnight later I found that I could reduce vcore further to 1,4.

I think this has to do with the AS5 layer. I have read that AS5 needs 200 hours before it achieves its maximum effectiveness. So some patience is needed before you can release the potencial of your processor :)

Patience is needed to get the most out of your Opterons. I moved to watercooling about a month ago. Before that I used an XP-120 with a SilenX fan, had it prime stable at 1,43vcore, temps at 54-55c with full load. Then I changed to watercooling, and had to increase vcore to 1,47 for prime stability. but temps where at 48-50. After trying to push it to [email protected],47 for a forthnight I gave up and reduced frequency to 2600 again. But then it was prime stable at 1,43vcore again. Now a forthnight later I found that I could reduce vcore further to 1,4.

I think this has to do with the AS5 layer. I have read that AS5 needs 200 hours before it achieves its maximum effectiveness. So some patience is needed before you can release the potencial of your processor :)

your temps seem a little too high, for an xp120

i have an xp90c , smartfan 2. i can see 43 degrees under prime full load at 2.7 ghz, with a 1.52 vcore.

maybe you have to improve your case airflow