Sign in to follow this  
badboyeee

RMA Process, Best and quickest Option?

It took 2 weeks for the losers at Monarch Computers to tell me I need to do my RMA with DFI, after they initially told me that I can get a replacement with them.

What is the best and quickest way to get an RMA and replacement? As I was wanting to get my new system up by now to get some projects going.

If anyone is wondering, the problem was a CMOS Checksum Error. Everytime I turn off my PSU, the CMOS checksum error shows up and my settings get cleared. I got a new CMOS battery and the problem still persists. It is supposedly brand new, and I was just doing my POST mobo/memory/video card test.

update:

I just called DFI tech support at San Jose a minute ago, the guy told me it is probably the type of memory I am using that is causing this problem. I wasn't sure if would matter for this problem, but I guess I will have to try what he says... To just try a different brand of memory. I was using one stick of PC2100 RAM 256MB, just for testing purposes. It looks to be generic, but when I tried to identify a while ago, I remember it being some kind of Samsung chip.

Please advise. Thank you

You can't use anything under DDR400 on these boards. It not only decreased performance or you will run into issues like the ones you're dealing with right now. Go buy yourself a nice Dual Channel 1GB DDR400 kit and post again if successful. Fix your SIG, hehehe...where is your memory...

Note: I use Monarch and sometimes they piss me off, so i know where you're coming from. The thing about them is dude they don't tax you, so that's nice, their from Georgia and i'm from Cali so a 2nd day air will arrive on the second day air, best with monarch.

You can't use anything under DDR400 on these boards. It not only decreased performance or you will run into issues like the ones you're dealing with right now. Go buy yourself a nice Dual Channel 1GB DDR400 kit and post again if successful. Fix your SIG, hehehe...where is your memory...

Note: I use Monarch and sometimes they piss me off, so i know where you're coming from. The thing about them is dude they don't tax you, so that's nice, their from Georgia and i'm from Cali so a 2nd day air will arrive on the second day air, best with monarch.

I was just using PC2100 memory for temporary testing purposes, which is why I didn't put it in my sig. In the mean time I was waiting for a good deal and making sure my cpu/mobo/video worked before I bought good ram.

The manual states that the motherboard supports PC2100. I'm gonna try my other Crucial Technology PC2100 memory, see if that solves anything

I do see the G.Skill HZ DDR500 (PC4000) on sale at Newegg $174 AR, I will probably jump on that by tomorrow.

Yah Monarch sucked at customer service, I emailed them 2 weeks ago telling them my problem and they took 3 days to respond, then I replied, then they responded ok we can get you a replacement or repair, I emailed them requesting a replacement, then never heard from them.

This past week I've tried calling them while I was at work, and was put on hold each time, and I had to hang up. The last time I was just gonna wait no matter what, put me on hold 4 times with 4 different people then the guy told me this is out of warranty, but I told them that Brian told me I could get a replacement. Back then when I first went in for support I was still under warranty, but now I'm not. Sorry just had to rant.

Guest GripS

I had an excellent experience with my recently ordered parts from monarch. However i haven't had to call on an RMA or anything so i can't vouch for the support. But i must say the order and shipping process was fast. Packed well too. NO i don't work for monarch. :D

The manual states that the motherboard supports PC2100. I'm gonna try my other Crucial Technology PC2100 memory, see if that solves anything

While the board might very well run it, you would probably have to play around with timings as much as a serious overclocker would trying to eke out 1mhz more speed. This is pretty much why we recommend using better than average ram, just so people run in to fewer problems.

I understand you're just trying to test it out, good luck though. :)

Well no luck with the Crucial Technology PC2100 256mb ram. Same problem persists, I've put it in both dimms 1 and 2. Memtested the memory fine for 4 hours. Dimm 3 the motherboard wouldnt go through POST.

also jotted down my bios in my sig

Well, if you can memtest it ok, then that is definitive in my opinion. Call them back and see if there is anything else you can/need to try before RMAing.

Guest GripS

It would be ideal to test it with different/faster memory before RMA. Often times memory just isn't compatible(even if it passes memtest).

Yeah, well the tech support guy told me to get some "good" brand name dual channel memory. I told him I was looking into getting some G.Skill or OCZ, so he said yah try those then call back if the problem persists.

So in that case, I am debating to get one of these 2x1gb G.Skill sticks from Newegg:

DDR500

Model #: F1-4000USU2-2GBHZ ($194-$18MIR)

Cas Latency: 3

Heat Spreader: Yes

Timing: 3-4-4-8

Voltage: 2.6V-2.8V

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820231021

or

DDR400

Model #: F1-3200PHU2-2GBNS ($156)

Features: Comprehensive rigorously tested in pair at dual channel environment 6 Layers PCB

Heat Spreader: Yes

Timing: 2.5-3-3-6

Voltage: 2.6V-2.75V

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820231047

I am leaning more to save $40. I am wanting to overclock the cpu but I will have to use a divider anyway to reach 2.6ghz, so timings and bandwidth doesn't matter right? So I rather spend $40 on something else for better overall performance. That's what I have been reading so far. But if I am wrong and there is a substantial increase in some performance and overclocking my cpu would be greatly easier with DDR500, I would pay the extra $40 and cringingly bear with the MIR. Someone please advise :)

If you can, test the battery. It could be just as dead as the one you replaced. Also check the position of the CMOS jumper.