Sign in to follow this  
matthewfoley

Suddenly no POST

Here are the symptoms:

Just the board out of the case with one stick of known good memory, CPU, and video card fails to post. I get the four debug lights all coming on for a split second (and the video card fan starts to spin), and then nothing. The little LED power indicators stay on, and any further attempts to turn it on have absolutely no effect. If I pull the power for a few seconds, I can get it to flash on again for a second, but then nothing again.

I know the power supply, memory, video card and processor are all good. CMOS has been cleared, and everything is firmly mounted and connected.

Any ideas?

Verified with two other brand new power supplies, 500W. Everything at stock.

As I said, Power supply, CPU, memory, video card are all known to be good.

I get the four debug led's on the board coming up for a split second, fans on gpu and power supply both turn for a split second, then nothing until I remove power.

It really is not how many power supplies you try but have you yet tried one known to work. I see people all the time trying to startup with low powered supply and dork the cmos so it won't boot. If you really were trying at 'first' to use a 300 watt supply, then I am not surprised if a good supply will also fail to boot when you do finally try a good one.

As below with a known compatible supply and if it then will not boot up> RMA the board where you bought it.

Remove power from the system. Pull cord from wall if you must. Or from rear of power supply.

Remove the battery.

Move the CMOS jumper to clear postition (pin 2 and 3).

Move the speaker jumper to on position. Page 7 quick start manual.

Make sure you have a wired keyboard plugged into the PS2 port. Not USB in other words. USB to PS2 OK.

Leave the CMOS jumper at clear for at least 30 minutes.

Put ONLY one ( 1 ) stick of memory in ORANGE slot closest the top edge of motherboard.

Replace the battery.

Set the CMOS jumper back to normal (pin 1 and 2).

Press and hold down the "Insert" Key on the keyboard.

Apply power to power supply again WITH "Insert" key still pressed down.

Press the start/power on button on the rig. WITH the "Insert" key still pressed down.

When you hear the beep from the speaker. Release the "Insert" Key and quickly press the "Delete" key

and enter the bios and load optimized defaults. Save and Exit bios and reboot to enter bios to make necessary adjustments.

RGone...

Try taking the board out of the case and running it.

When I first got this rig, it did not work when I first put it in the case and I got 4 LEDs, and I asked around, and someone said try out of the case. I did and it worked.

You'll laugh, but it's worth trying.

Actually, it is outside of the case on an insulated foam pad. :D

Two of the three power supplies were known good in another machine, and this is not a new install, just moving stuff around.

I'll try the explicit steps to clear the cmos.

I cannot RMA it to newEgg (where I purchased it), because they only warantees by the manufacturer on this board. It is warranteed by DFI for 1 year, of which I have a little over a month left on.

What were the other PSUs?

Known good PSUs in another system doesn't mean they will suffice in a DFI setup.

Antec True 550

Seasonic S12 380

Antec TruePower 2.0 450

These are all in running machines now; one of them is an SLI-DR as well.

I tried the instructions above about wiping out the CMOS - I unplugged power connections from the board, from the power supply, took the battery out and reset the cmos for 24 hours.

When I hit power all I get is the four led's blink for a second, then nothing. If I try to hit the power button again, I don't even get the four leds. When power is removed from the system, I can repeat this process.

No post; just a good video card, power supply, one stick of ram in first (from the processor) orange slot, and all 4 power connections made.

Any other ideas?

How do I go about getting warranty help from DFI?

wow i have exactly the same problem

my comp worked fine till about two weeks ago when all of a sudden I would try to turn it on and it would power on for a second and instantly shut off. my old psu was an antec 500w psu. It came with 24 pins and said it was dual 12v rails (16a+18a) but all of a sudden it wouldn't turn on for more than a second. I couldn't get it to work so i bought a new psu off of the approved list from these forums, the enermax 535 FMA psu, which worked fine for about a week. (I got it ~2 weeks ago and it worked for a week.) Today I came home and turned on my comp and nothing happened. I checked my motherboard and none of the leds even had power. I've tried my old psu (which powered up when I had only plugged it into the 24 and 4 pin connectors on the mb and nothing else) and my computer will not start up. My new psu is dead or something, I have no idea why it isn't giving me any power at all.

Anyway, is there a way to get my computer to start up ? I know my psu isn't bad (the antec one) because my mb's LEDs light up when i put power into the psu. The problem is that the computer will not stay powered for more than one second.