Sign in to follow this  
PL4YD34D

OCZ GX XTC 2x1GB - rubbish overclock?

now these sticks come recommended from a number of sources (Angry and others on here to name a couple)

i have em installed and memtesting at 215MHz on 2.7v @2.5-3-3-8 and they seem fine - 20 passes. but if i drop to 2-3-3-8, kaput-o. errors everywhere. now surely they can do better than that.

i put them in at 235MHz on 2.8v @2.5-3-3-8 and they crashed out straight away.

other settings for all runs are 11 - 17 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 3 - then stock or auto except

MAL 7ns and Read Preamble 5.5ns

do these things need higher MAL and RP settings or am i using crappy chips here??

now these sticks come recommended from a number of sources (Angry and others on here to name a couple)

i have em installed and memtesting at 215MHz on 2.7v @2.5-3-3-8 and they seem fine - 20 passes. but if i drop to 2-3-3-8, kaput-o. errors everywhere. now surely they can do better than that.

i put them in at 235MHz on 2.8v @2.5-3-3-8 and they crashed out straight away.

other settings for all runs are 11 - 17 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 3 - then stock or auto except

MAL 7ns and Read Preamble 5.5ns

do these things need higher MAL and RP settings or am i using crappy chips here??

are those the pc4000 ? if they are then

those sticks are not rated for the timmings you are running them

Well, seems OK then.

what? really???? so a 15MHz overclock is normal for these things?

come on ---- for £185($300) i'd expect something with a little more headroom.

my OCZ gold kit can do 235 with 3.1v, thats not even outside the warranty man.

now i know thats a 1GB kit and these are 2GBs but still, 15MHz ---serious? whats more, after more testing ive noticed these things DO NOT like volts, they crash with 2.8v when there stable with 2.7 --- go figure.

what? really???? so a 15MHz overclock is normal for these things?

come on ---- for £185($300) i'd expect something with a little more headroom.

my OCZ gold kit can do 235 with 3.1v, thats not even outside the warranty man.

now i know thats a 1GB kit and these are 2GBs but still, 15MHz ---serious? whats more, after more testing ive noticed these things DO NOT like volts, they crash with 2.8v when there stable with 2.7 --- go figure.

I think you really misunderstood the recommendations :(

OCZ is very good at speed-binning. If they have a PC3200 module and a PC4000 module of the same model, then you are almost guaranteed never to reach 250 MHz with the module labeled PC3200.

The OCZ Gold kit, assuming it is 256 or 512 MB BH-5/CH-5 material, is a different situation since you use different voltages than they used for binning, so you get a new shot at reaching high speeds.

Sorry.

no pc3200. sorry for not mentioning that. thats my bad

The OCZ Gold XTC'S are PC4000 Rated at 3.4.3.8, these are chips that overclock well, but the timings are conservative....

One other thing about this memory is that because it's rated for DDR500, it does NOT like tight timmings....so input the right timmings as the memory is rated for and you should be fine

1GB sticks never overclock as well as 512 or 256MB sticks. Run with the looser timings to try going higer. Besides, for gaming, 2GB of ram @ CAS3 is better than 1 GB of ram @ CAS2, hands down.

right ----------- kinda off the original idea of this thread but , im running this system @ 280 htt w/ x10 multi. and ram on 3/4 divider.

cpu-z reports my ram MHz as 200. whats that all about. surely, if my maths is not real bad , it should be 210 mhz???

Correction....my mistake,.....that memory is in fact pc3200 rated @ 2.3.3.6

but is in fact capable of reaching DDR500 at 3.4.5.8 as I stated before....

check this....

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/OCZ%20...200/testing.htm

Just because somebody else got lucky doesn't mean so do you :)

I can only repeat: OCZ is very good at binning. If they have PC3200 and a PC4000 versions of the same memory model then it is pretty much guaranteed that the PC3200 does not reach PC4000 speed under all conditions.

Now, the PC3200 can very well reach 250 MHz with good CPU/mainboard etc but there is no guarantee for that.

If you buy the PC4000 you buy the guarantee that it will do 250 MHz even at mediocre CPU and board, and more in a good setup.