Removed Audigy 2 ZS, Machine Check Exception goes away!?!?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Well, if anyone is interested, I managed to get my IRQs reset/redistribued. I did an "upgrade repair" with my XP+SP2 CD. This keeps all of your settings and installed software so you don't have to start from scratch. Unfortunately, this didn't completely solve my crash problem.

Things were more stable once I did an "upgrade repair" with my XP+SP2 CD (which reset/redistributed my IRQs). But I would occasionally get a crash every once in a while. When I started play Oblivion - crashed within an hour of gameplay.

I reset everything back to default speeds (CPU, RAM, Video, etc.) but still got crashes. Then I remembered that my video card came overclocked from the factory - so default on this card is actually overclocked. I decided to reset it to "default" speeds for a 7800 GT and viola! No more crashes.

I'm both relieved that I've found the problem and bummed that I'll have to RMA this card and wait for it to come back.

I get this MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION when playing Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion for about 1 minute. Never had a problem like this before, only in Oblivion.

[edit] It also appears, by reading that Troubleshooting guide, that my Audigy 2 is on the same IRQ as my GeForce 7800GT...hmm....

Can you move ther sound card to a different slot... that should change its IRQ.

Tried that but the IRQ didn't budge. I also tried disabling all unused integrated devices and that didn't work either. The only thing that worked was an in-place XP upgrade/repair.

• 6 months later...

I'm having similar problems.

Every cold boot I notice a mouse pointer "lag", its the symptom that tells me I'm having the problem with the Audigy.

When I check the audigy speaker settings, its reset to "2.1 Speakers" while I always use "Headphones". Also, the computer is slower.

If I keep using the computer, the MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION BSOD will happen at some point.

Then, if I just reset my computer ("Start" > "Restart") the computer works perfectly. It happens just at the first cold boot after hours (>5h) the computer is turned off.

I tried disabling onboard devices such as AC97, Marvell Giga Lan, etc to free IRQs. Also switching from one PCI slot to another does not fix. Overclocking or not has no influence.

I'd like suggestions... Thank you.

just take a picture of the BSOD and email creative tech support, your audigy card has failed. the SAME EXACT THING happened to me, Once I emailed the picture with the bsod to creative they finally believed me when I was telling them it was the sound card. The RMA process was extremely fast (Their turn around time was 1 day)... got new card, and havent had any problems since

just take a picture of the BSOD and email creative tech support, your audigy card has failed. the SAME EXACT THING happened to me, Once I emailed the picture with the bsod to creative they finally believed me when I was telling them it was the sound card. The RMA process was extremely fast (Their turn around time was 1 day)... got new card, and havent had any problems since

I thought it could be some defective component, but everything looks fine, works perfectly on other computers, and only fails on first cold boot with my current system. It's really strange that the card could be defective. The rest of time it works flawless on my system.

My IRQ assignments:

IRQ 0	System timer	OK

IRQ 1	Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard	OK

IRQ 3	Built-in Infrared Device	OK

IRQ 4	Communications Port (COM1)	OK

IRQ 5	Ethernet Controller	OK

IRQ 6	Standard floppy disk controller	OK

IRQ 8	System CMOS/real time clock	OK

IRQ 9	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK

IRQ 9	SCSI/RAID Host Controller	OK

IRQ 10	NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management	OK

IRQ 13	Numeric data processor	OK

IRQ 14	Primary IDE Channel	OK

IRQ 15	Secondary IDE Channel	OK

IRQ 16	OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller	OK

IRQ 17	VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller	OK

IRQ 18	NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX 	OK

IRQ 19	Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)	OK

IRQ 20	NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller	OK

IRQ 20	NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator	OK

IRQ 21	Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller	OK

IRQ 22	Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller	OK

IRQ 23	NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller	OK

I thought it could be some defective component, but everything looks fine, works perfectly on other computers, and only fails on first cold boot with my current system. It's really strange that the card could be defective. The rest of time it works flawless on my system.

My IRQ assignments:

IRQ 0	System timer	OK

IRQ 1	Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard	OK

IRQ 3	Built-in Infrared Device	OK

IRQ 4	Communications Port (COM1)	OK

IRQ 5	Ethernet Controller	OK

IRQ 6	Standard floppy disk controller	OK

IRQ 8	System CMOS/real time clock	OK

IRQ 9	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK

IRQ 9	SCSI/RAID Host Controller	OK

IRQ 10	NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management	OK

IRQ 13	Numeric data processor	OK

IRQ 14	Primary IDE Channel	OK

IRQ 15	Secondary IDE Channel	OK

IRQ 16	OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller	OK

IRQ 17	VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller	OK

IRQ 18	NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX 	OK

IRQ 19	Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)	OK

IRQ 20	NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller	OK

IRQ 20	NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator	OK

IRQ 21	Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller	OK

IRQ 22	Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller	OK

IRQ 23	NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller	OK

my irqs

IRQ 0 System timer OK

IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard OK

IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK

IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller OK

IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK

IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK

IRQ 9 SCSI/RAID Host Controller OK

IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK

IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK

IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK

PCI 10 NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management OK

PCI 16 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller OK

PCI 16 sil image 3114 sata link ok

PCI 16 CMD PCI SIL 649 ULTRA DMA CONTROLLER OK

PCI 17 VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller OK (*NORM DISABL)

PCI 17 JMICRO JMB36X RAID CONTROLLER

PCI 18 1900XTX OK

PCI 19 Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM) OK

PCI 20 NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller OK

PCI 20 NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator OK

PCI 21 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller OK

PCI 22 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller OK

PCI 23 NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller OK

MY SOUND CARD HAS NO irq sharing (middle pci slot) (you can use the top pci slot but not the bottom slot) (for me- it slows my windows bootup for 2 minutes).... mem conflict...

"dont use the firewire 400 port on the card" using this + playing sound + hdd activity (high) causes the problem (hisses + pops)+ blue screen of death.

i use the motherboard firewire only...

i have found (on nf4 only) that if i burn 4+ dvd movies (5+hdd - 1 for each burner + all internal)

and use teamspeak + play a mp3 i will get hissing/ccracking+poping noise.

this does not happen when play a game (only)+teamspeak

and if i burn(s) and use the firewire port on the sound card (at the same time) the hissing gets worst till i get a blue creen of death.

its seams that the pci bus goes out of synic with the sound card while thiers a lot of activity (buss transfer)

if you dont use the sil 3114 (pci buss) its better... and or problem is totally gone..

(using pci- express cards jm 363)

pci slots

from bottom of board going up...

cmd ide card (bottom pci slot)

sb zs (middle pci slot)

3rd pci slot (empty) (shares with 1900xtx) pci express 16x

pci-exp (next to pci slot) (2x "16 slot" jm micro 363 card

1x pci ex slot "4x" empty

1x pci ex slot "1x" (under video card

16x (1900xtx)

QUOTE=Krohling;677110]I'm having similar problems.

Every cold boot I notice a mouse pointer "lag", its the symptom that tells me I'm having the problem with the Audigy.

When I check the audigy speaker settings, its reset to "2.1 Speakers" while I always use "Headphones". Also, the computer is slower.

If I keep using the computer, the MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION BSOD will happen at some point.

Then, if I just reset my computer ("Start" > "Restart") the computer works perfectly. It happens just at the first cold boot after hours (>5h) the computer is turned off.

I tried disabling onboard devices such as AC97, Marvell Giga Lan, etc to free IRQs. Also switching from one PCI slot to another does not fix. Overclocking or not has no influence.

I'd like suggestions... Thank you.

I am getting very similar problems as this post but i also get quite a few bsod's during boot up and somtimes doing a restart. i basicly have to uninstall/ reinstall sound drivers about 7 times a week just to get it temporarly working. At the moment mines in the lowest slot using irg16 not shareing with anything. I sopsose if i left it running instead of turning it off when at work i would have less problems but it gets dirty fast enough as it is. I hope sombody finds a fix for this soon as it worked perfect in my dfi NF3 ultraD befor changing motherboard and graphics card.