Sign in to follow this  
vertigofm

Which Bios to use and how do I install it?

Please do not move this!!! I do not want a third party or custom bios, I want to know which OFFICIAL Bios is best, I don't trust 3rd part BIOS's

Bios Version:

6/23/2005

6.00PG

This is for my Ultra D. Is it a good idea to update it? Just for stability or performance? My X1900XTX isn't performing to par, and I don't know if a Bios update could help? If I do it is there a program that will allow to do it from windows- is it safe/easy? Which BIOS should I update to?

Thanks guys

I think you have the best official bios for the ultra-D... I dont know if a bios update can increase yourX1900 performance..I doubt it.. DO you have any stability problems? Its not a good idea tp update it if you do not have any specific problems.. well as far as I know, from 6/23 you can only go for a 704-bta bios.. but its not an official bios.. but I have seen lot of ppl getting stability/performance increase with it.. Yes you can flash bios from windows using Winflash or Diamondflash ( i think thats the name).. but most of us here use Tmods CD to flash bios..its a bootable cd and easy to use..

I prefer not to flash through Windows, way too many things going on inside the OS that can kill a flash. The 623 official is a good bios, did not see any difference in the 704 2bta myself.

If you are comparing your 3Dmark scores to those on Futuremark sight it will give you a basic idea where you stand, but for the most part nobody runs the benchmarks like they would actually use their computer so the results are a little misleading.

My suggestion would be to leave the bios and start working on your tuning. This way if you decide to flash later you will at least have enough information to determine wether it is better or worse for your particular combination.

My main reason to flash would be because I can't OC my Opteron 170 at all.... despite everything that I try and I think it might be a BIOS issue

What about the 11/14/2005 bios? it's the latest official on dfi site, i already installed it to see if the memory issues i had were from bios or memory module (then found it's the memory module).