Conflicting Irqs?

ClayMeow

I was looking at my system info today...why?...because i just happened across it, so i decided to skim thru it. Looking at the IRQs, i noticed that my modem and my video card were using the same IRQ, (IRQ 19). I circled it in the attached picture. Is this bad? Would this decrease performance when both are in use?

Should i change the modem irq, and if so, to what? Can i just pick a random number that's not in use? 2, 7, 16-18 are all not in use...at least according to that.

Thanks for the help :)

Look again and youll see your usb controller, sound card, and ethernet controller are all sharing the same irq as well. I guess the point is none of those things need "24/7" use of their own irq. They just dont require that much processing time so they basically split up the cpu usage. It is a little more complicated than that in the A+ book, but, you get the general idea. And like fe1250 said... Why fix it if it aint broke? ;)

p.s. And by any means, if im off in my explanation, please feel free to RESPECTFULLY correct me. I would do you the same courtesy B)

the reason i didn't mention the usb/ethernet/sound controllers being on the same IRQ, and the reason why i wasn't concerned about them, is because those three things are attached to the mobo, and thus, i figured, it would know what it was doing when assigning.

However, the modem and video card i installed myself, randomnly picking a pci slot for the modem. When i do connect with the modem, it's .-slow, though i had always thought it was merely due to it being a winmodem. I guess i will try to change the irq of the modem, cause like volvompimp said, i'm thinking the videocard should definitely have it's on irq since that's basically the only thing that's always in use. I'll try it out and let you guys know what happens.

Hmmphh. I went into the bios, and changed that irq thing from auto (escd) to manual, and then went into it, but i didn't see anything to change the irq's of my modem or anything. Either i'm missing it somewhere, or it's not there.

How can i change an irq? Am i able to do it thru windows? I went to the device manager and to my modem, where it says the irq and memory crap, and it doesn't let me change it there. I have the bios back on auto(escd) though...if i put it on manual and then go into windows, will i be able to change it? I put it back on auto cause i didn't want to do anything if i didn't know how.