[RESOLVED]>> DIMM Slot issues

Howdy!

I'm having a few problems with my brand new DFI Lanparty UT nF4 Ultra-D nForce4 motherboard. I just finished building my new PC (info in sig), and it would appear that 2 out of 4 RAM slots are defective, or perhaps this is just a normal "feature".

I have one gigabyte of memory in the form of one stick of Corsair memory. At first, I tried placing it in the bottom slot (they are horizontal), but on boot I got the "DIMM error beep code", so I moved it up to the top one, and it worked. I then tried placing it in the top-middle slot, and it worked again. Finally, I placed it in the middle-bottom one, and it didn't work. This chart explains:

Top Slot (Yellow) Works.

Top Middle Slot (Orange) Works.

Bottom Middle Slot (Yellow) Doesn't work.

Bottom Slot (Orange) Doesn't work.

Is this normal? Must I fill up the RAM slots in order? I haven't modified the BIOS/CMOS settings at all.

Thanks!

Arrangement of memory in an NF4 dual channel 939 motherboard by DFI.

May use one stick in the Orange slot futherest from the cpu. It will be single channel.

Sometimes may use one stick in the Orange and the Yellow slot furtherest from the cpu. It will be two stick single channel.

Never can use single stick in Orange slot close to cpu. Will never work.

Never can use single stick in Yellow slot clost to cpu. Will never work.

In order to use memory in dual channel which is what the memory controller in the processor expects; you should FIRST put sticks in the Orange slots. This will be true for greater than 90% of ALL memories.

You may put memory in the Orange slots and run dual channel BUT you cannot put three (3) sticks of memory in the board and have it work.

Basically 1 stick Orange slot.

2 sticks using both Orange slots.

4 sticks using Orange and Yellow slots with attention to details of memory configuration settings in bios.

Those actually are the only valid memory stick combinations. Except sometimes two sticks in the Orange and Yellow slots furtherest from cpu will work as single channel only.

RGone...