I've gone and bought a raptor

rhiridflaidd

I ran out of hard disk space and was thinking - speed vs capacity; and the imp of the peverse took hold of me and i got a raptor.

So how would you partition it

1. 1 big partition

2 OS + app partition, and a, say 4GB swapfile partition

3. OS partition 15GB, 4GB swapfile, and the rest for apps.

or something different.

As an aside; top 10's of must have applications are always interesting when re-installing an OS and putting together a nice clean and fast re-install after a PC gets bogged down.

I personally would just install Windows XP SP1 right over that after formatting. I really don't care about all that bogus Swap File tweaking. With that drive i don't think you would even notice a difference unless you're planning to use the whole damn drive for backup or something.....

I don't know maybe someone knows better, but that's me personally.

^ agreed. As long as you're keeping the swap file on the same drive, it sorta defeats the purpose.

The slowest aspect of getting at a file on a hard disk is in head movement (‘seeking’). If you have only one physical drive then the file is best left where the heads are most likely to be, so where most activity is going on — on drive C:. If you have a second physical drive, it is in principle better to put the file there, because it is then less likely that the heads will have moved away from it. If, though, you have a modern large size of RAM, actual traffic on the file is likely to be low, even if programs are rolled out to it, inactive, so the point becomes an academic one. If you do put the file elsewhere, you should leave a small amount on C: — an initial size of 2MB with a Maximum of 50 is suitable — so it can be used in emergency. Without this, the system is inclined to ignore the settings and either have no page file at all (and complain) or make a very large one indeed on C:

http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

There's several school's of thought on swap tweakin'. I have 1 raptor set up with the a 3.8gb swap partition at 40%. (Closest to the middle of the drive as I could get) But some others insist that the best is let windows manage the swap on 1 drive and build a seconed drive with a seperate partition closest the the start of that drive(Same size swap settings)For superpi's.(2 drives 2 swap sets) Myself I just let windows manage it anymore.(On my other mechines) I suppose it depends on what you are doing. As far as raid-0 goes I myself really don't know for sure what would be best for what I do. (I suppose I'd check for post by Angry_Games on that) Then do what makes best sense to me at the time.

I don't plan to run a RAID. This will be the second hard disk in the system (the first is a 200gb seagate- which is fast enough; but will be nowhere near as fast as a raptor)

I'd just imagine as a typical partition gets filled; the swapfile gets fragmented; hence the potential benefit of putting it in it's own partition.

But I don't want to partition my raptor and find out I'd be better off leaving it as one partition; or that it's better to put the swapfile on the other slower hard disk (which will largely be accessed less often; storing media mostly.)

hi

I've ordered a raptor 74gb version should arrive tommorw.

My only reason was in my recent rig windows took 37 mins to install and cousin had a raptor, his took somewhere in the region of 9min. the windows install i have is very basic, only os + msn + games but time has come to do it proper and 37 mins is too long. Raptor away !

I ran out of hard disk space and was thinking - speed vs capacity; and the imp of the peverse took hold of me and i got a raptor.

So how would you partition it

1. 1 big partition

2 OS + app partition, and a, say 4GB swapfile partition

3. OS partition 15GB, 4GB swapfile, and the rest for apps.

or something different.

As an aside; top 10's of must have applications are always interesting when re-installing an OS and putting together a nice clean and fast re-install after a PC gets bogged down.

I would go with one large enough partition for the OS and one for applications and such. SO incase the OS screws up completely and a format is needed, the other partition and the data there is unaffected.

I tend to install different applications every time, but the ones that are always constant are Speedfan, Samurize, Objectdock, WinRAR, Winamp. The rest are applications specific to my needs. But for me it is always WinRAR that needs the install first.

I don't plan to run a RAID. This will be the second hard disk in the system (the first is a 200gb seagate- which is fast enough; but will be nowhere near as fast as a raptor)

I'd just imagine as a typical partition gets filled; the swapfile gets fragmented; hence the potential benefit of putting it in it's own partition.

But I don't want to partition my raptor and find out I'd be better off leaving it as one partition; or that it's better to put the swapfile on the other slower hard disk (which will largely be accessed less often; storing media mostly.)

well i have 2 raptors (non-raid) and i'm still figuring out the best settings for best performance. atm i'm handling it like this

raptor 1:

- winxp

- pagefile (system managed size)

raptor 2:

- progs

- games

- pagefile2 (system managed size)

- temp-files

afaik, the pagefile wont get fragmented when it has a fixed size - but u can only set a size range (or system manged like i did) - so im still wondering:

- what pagefile setup to use with my 2x rapter config?

- better system managed or fixed size?

- other possible tweaks?

@rhiridflaidd: I did notice with the swap partition toward the middle of the drive that overall fragmentation on my operating partition was less. That link Fum posted is good readin'.

@minorflex: My Infinity does it in 9. Another socket "A" board I have does it in less than 7 has a faster onboard controller.(But it doesn't OC as nice) You should be able to get yer' install's done pretty fast w/that lol. Be sure to partition those drives. Because otherwise you'll run slower.One big partition slows stuff way down.LOL(I could tell ya's some stories about that but well ........)LOL That's enough outta' me. Good luck guy's."Clay"

Edit@cedman: I'll go back to XS see if I can find that thread I mentioned before on tweakin' swaps for superpi' I think the fellow was onto something as far as how he sets his swap's on two drive's. And you've got 2 Raptor2's might be worth lookin' at anyway. I see if I can find that link.BRB

Edit2:Edited again!I spent sometime findin' this thread.I'm sure we have the same links here too.(But this is where I first found these links:

Check tweakhounds site for swap config.

Edit3:Ooops I was okay I didn't miss quote him.!(Thought I had a super brainfart again)LOL)"B"Method-

"B"Keep the page file that is on the same partition that the OS is on and put a second page file on a separate partition at the beginning of a separate disk from the OS (preferably on a different chain from that disk also). I have mine set to: Page file on OS drive = memory x 1.5. Page file on separate partition/separate drive = memory x 1.5. I also format the page file using FAT32 rather than NTFS because on this small volume FAT32 is faster (on smaller volumes). "

http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/xptweaks/supertweaks5.htm

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showth...ht=tweak+guides

• 4 weeks later...