Sign in to follow this  
IxidorsBane

New system/HDD Issues

I have a problem. I've just pruchased the system that I have in my sig. All new, except for the HDD, which is the one from my old computer at home. I also have an older Western Digital 20GB HDD, that I originally used to try starting up the system. I wanted to keep my computer at home working so I could ask questions and such online.

I got the computer to boot up and got into the BIOS to look around. But after that, I tried starting up the computer and a problem occured while trying to open Windows from the HDD. I restarted the computer and tried again, and the same problem. I was using my old HDD, so I thought that maybe there was something wrong with it, so I went and took my good one that I know works for sure, and tried booting up the comp with that one. Same problem.

Ok, so I decided to go back online and ask over at the DFI-street forums to see if anyone has any idea's, only to find that after hooking the HDD back into my old system, that it doesn't work. It says there is a problem with there not being enough space on the HDD to run anything, but that is bull because it is a 120GB HDD and not even half is filled up (unless some other type of memory is the problem?). It said something along the lines that I would have to delete some stuff off the HDD to make room to run the OS.

Now, I am pretty sure this is a problem with the HDD, but I just can't figure out what the new system did to it to make it do this. Argg, I need some help...

Well, here is a step by step of what I did after my last post last night:

• Went and double checked all the plug's and connections
  • Plugged in the power, keyboard and monitor cables.
  • Hit the power button and no video came on the screen. And I realized that I had put the GPU in the wrong PCI-E slot.
  • I changed it and the video worked fine. I got into BIOS.
  • Looked around some and read what each menu has and does from the manual. I changed some thing's here and there, but just ended up using the "optimize" option to set everything to the best setting for the computer.
  • Saved & exited, and tried loading up the computer using my old 20 GB HDD. I did it with this HDD first becuase I wanted to be able to keep my old system working at the same time.
  • It didn't load up, instead I came to a blue error screen saying there was an error and Windows wouldn't boot up. I restarted the computer and tried again, and from then on, all it did was load the LanParty splash screen, then the system check, then try to load up Windows. It wouldn't so it would restart and go back to the LanParty splash screen.
  • I thought that maybe it was something wrong with my HDD, it being so old, and me not using it for a year or so, so I decided to try out the HDD in my current comp, becuase that is one I know works. And this is where things get really crappy.
  • Everything booted up the same as before, and I again got the blue error screen saying there was an error and Windows wouldn't load.
  • Ok, so now I am upset. I decide to go online and ask around for solutions. I hook the good HDD back into my old system, and start it up. It works all the way to the Windows desktop, and just as I'm about to open FireFox, it crashes.
  • It's done this once or twice before, when I have a ton of things going on at once. I restart and tried booting up again. And this is where I start to cry...
  • There is a message on the screen saying that there is not enough memory to run this program and I can't start the comp back up again. Everytime I try to restart I get a meesage like this.
  • So now not only do I not have my new comp working, but I don't have my old one either. I have no computer at home, so I now have to get all my help while I am at work, like now.

I'm hoping that I can go ask one of the IT guys at my work to do me a favor and take a look at the HDD's I brought with me today to tell me if there is anything wrong with them. I'm hoping I don't have to buy a new HDD for the system, but if I do, got any suggestions on a decently priced 100+ GB drives?

If you bought a new motherboard and want to setup your old hard drive on it, you'll need to do a complete reinstall of windows, trust me. That old hard drive has the old motherboard devices and drivers on it which will conflict with your new board. I mean it can be done, but it's better "MUCH BETTER" to just do a clean install of Windows. I hope that sums it up for ya....

Note: Now by putting that same HD back into your old computer i wouldn't be surprised to see issues since you've tried to load windows with that drive on the new computer which has probably changed some settings around. Try safe mode or hit F8 and select "revert to the default settings" or something like that. I wouldn't have this issue because i always reformat anyway, that's why i have a DVD-RW to keep my files in a safe location just incase of this situation. I hope this helps....

Ok, i've wiped the HDD and re-installed Windows XP. Everything seems to be working fine now. I tried to install all of the drivers that came on the CD with the RDX200, but ended up almost falling asleep at my monitor. I'll finish installing them tonight.

I did have another question though. The first time I put the CD in the computer, it loaded up and after a initial setup, it gave me a desktop icon for the ATI System Manager. After restating the computer, I tried opening that desktop icon and it gave me an error window. The only way for me to open the System Manager is to take out the CD and put it back in so that it opens automatically. Is this something that is wrong with the CD, so just an odd annoyance that I'll have to work around?

Finally, could someone let me know where there might be any new updates and/or patches that I might need for the mobo that came out after the CD was made?

Hi guys, Ixidorsbane is a friend of mine and I recommended he get this board.

While I know the DFI NF4 like the back of my hand thanks to you guys, I don't know anything about the ATI version in regards to driver installation procedure.

Im guessing like the NF4 installing cool and quiet is a no-no if your going to overclock.

Please help my buddy out and make him love DFI like I do.

Thanks.

Should he assume the driver install procedure is the same as the NF4? What is different about this board? Are there any known bugs/complications?

Thanx in Advance! :)

-Oblivion Nut

Ok, first off, hey Oblivion Nut! :nod:

Second, just to let everyone here know that everything is working fine so far, and am in the process of downloading all of the Windows updates and other little things I had before.

The only drivers I have installed so far are the ones that came on the CD for the RDX200, as well as the ones for my new CD/DVD combo drive. I've loaded Everest onto the computer and used that as well to find drives for my sound card that I bought OEM and didn't come with it's own drivers. Other than that, I'll be waiting for Oblivion Nut to help me out with overclocking later on down the road. I'll be reading up on it in the mean-time. Thanks guys. :cool: