Sign in to follow this  
medsor

Starting first build

I just want to get my rig up and running right now but no where around me sells AS5 so I can just use the generic stuff for right now just to get it set up then clean and put on the AS5 when I get it in the mail right? I just want to make sure that I dont do any long term harm to my CPU or MoBo

no harm will be done, and if your temps are acceptable, you may not even need to both with as5.

I just want to get my rig up and running right now but no where around me sells AS5 so I can just use the generic stuff for right now just to get it set up then clean and put on the AS5 when I get it in the mail right? I just want to make sure that I dont do any long term harm to my CPU or MoBo

Don't rush. It isn't a race.

well tonight I should be getting some AS5 so Ill be able to start my build. Im going to start by following Angry_Games tutorial and am going to build first outside of case by just putting in cpu/heatsink, 1 stick of ram, and GPU and start it up. Can anyone tell me exactly what I should be looking for? what are good signs and bad signs?

thanks

First off Ive been a bit nervous about static. heh I know its kinda paranoid but I just spent a lot of money on my parts and I dont have a anti-static wrist band and was wondering if theres any good way to get rid of static befor I start?

ah, static problems i see heh... plug your finger to a power plug.. the static will fade off.. :shake: jk... anyways, sweet rig.. i dont own a anti-static wrist band either.. all i do is touch my case first to drain some static and ofcourse wear a watch at thesame time and ofcourse do not touch anything while stepping the ground with your bare foot.. i dunno where i got this idea from (wearing a watch avoid static).. :nod:

well tonight I should be getting some AS5 so Ill be able to start my build. Im going to start by following Angry_Games tutorial and am going to build first outside of case by just putting in cpu/heatsink, 1 stick of ram, and GPU and start it up. Can anyone tell me exactly what I should be looking for? what are good signs and bad signs?

thanks

Take your time and follow the tutorial. Make sure you first try booting with only the bare necessities and move up from there (just like you said up there). Search for the proper RAM slot (I think with one stick it's the orange slot farthest from the CPU).

I just setup my new build about 3 weeks ago. While it's far from my first build, I agonize over everything because there are times that things go wrong no matter what. The worst thing to do is get into a hurry. Take your time, check and double check. I remember setting a system up one time and I'd not bothered to check the PSU. Someone had set it to the wrong voltage, so when I hit the power switch I got a nice big ball of smoke.

Good signs:

Computer boots

Fans spin up

Windows loads and doesn't crash

Bad signs:

No boot

Smoke ( :( )

Good luck and remember to have fun. There's nothing that quite gives the same feeling of accomplishment as building your own PC and having it work... :D

Signs... even tough I built 4 dfi's I still have that excitement/anxiety everytime I start the rig first time. It might be due to my first one had some smokes in 10 seconds - but dont worry (for now)

Here are the signs that I am looking/checking:

1) Power connections: 4 - done

2) Cpu + cpu fan power connection - done

3) Cmos jumper - in correct place (this might be irrelevant in your case if you dont plan to clear your cmos) - done

4) hard disk: power / ide connection - done

5) vid card: seated correctly - check 3 times (here comes paranoia) - done (FORGOT to write: pci-express power connection - done)

6) rams: seated correctly - done

7) open the psu switch - 2 orange leds - done

ready to fire, then:

1) my left hand is at the psu switch - if I want to shut down immediately

2) right hand on the power button, eyes on the cpu/chipset fan + 4 leds

3) fired - 4 leds / smoke / SMELL / sound

4) if every fan starts turning, no smell+smoke, just 1 red led and starts posting - delete key into bios

5) load optimized defaults - restart

6) again every step from 1 to 4, in bios - check cpu temp + hdd, change first boot priority to cd, and (if you feel like it's necessary - vdimm to 2.7) - save exit

7) windows cd in, start operating system installation

If anything fails, clear cmos, check cables, power connections + CHECK 4 red leds...

After putting into case, dont forget to check orange leds for shorts (computer doesnt wanna start sometimes) - that was my mistake in couple of builds. Solution: use brass screws...

This is MY way. Hope it helps...

Thanks for post really helped. I got everything set up and running. Only problem I ran into was with cpu speed, just cleared cmos and it fixed it. loading windows right now.

I just built my computer last week, well i switched from an Asus a8n-sli deluxe to my new and better SLI-DR.... it is soooo much more stable and I love the Vcore multiplier...... it the tutorials on here are awsome.... make sure to read about the MBM5 (motherboard monitor 5) thread in here SpeedFan was making my overclock unstable past 300 mhz, stopped using SpeedFan and now @ 323 no problem.

Opterons are sweet

I just built my computer last week, well i switched from an Asus a8n-sli deluxe to my new and better SLI-DR.... it is soooo much more stable and I love the Vcore multiplier...... it the tutorials on here are awsome.... make sure to read about the MBM5 (motherboard monitor 5) thread in here SpeedFan was making my overclock unstable past 300 mhz, stopped using SpeedFan and now @ 323 no problem.

Opterons are sweet

:) nice good to here considering I was kinda nervous when i bought my opteron.

The problem Im having right now is that I get a power indicator message everytime I start up saying

"The NVIDIA System Sentinel is reporting that the NVIDIA-powered graphics card is not receiving suffincient power."

the troubleshoot tells me

"to remedy the problem, ensure that the NVIDIA graphics card in your system has the supplemental power connector attached. This connection is required and your system may be damaged if it is not in place. please refer to your owner's manual for complete inspection instructions. Also, the power supply in your computer must be able to supply ample power to power all of the attached peripherals in addition to this extra connection."

I connected a 4-pin molex connector to the 5v/12v power connector right above my GPU and nothing changed. I dont know if theres another wire I have to connect to my GPU or what(right now my GPU is just connected to the board). My power supply is a antec truepower 550w sli ready. so Im pretty sure thats enough power for my rig especialy since I only have 1 gpu in my system.

yeah i had that error when i didn't get the power cable with my video card. there is a 6pin/4pin/molex connector on the videocard to give it extra juice. once i plugged that in the error went away. Hope that also fixes your issue.

War

One Short Beep = good; other longer beeps/no beeps = bad--that is the long and short of it. Have you purchased your graphics cards yet? I would be interested to see what the 7600GTs can overclock to. The 7600GTs are nothing more than faster 6800GSs... so, if you wouldn't mind spending just a bit more, you could have SLI from the get-go. Just an idea, of course =0)