Please help: Linux fine, XP won't install

Hello, guys. Here's my problem: I've been running Linux for months now, without issues. Initially I had to upgrade BIOS to stabilize my memore but that's it.

Now I'm installing Windows XP SP2 (slipedstreamed) into a new SATA II disk, very similar to the linux one, only smaller.

Well, it hangs while copying files, namely, drivers.cab (11%).

The installation CD is fine: I just used it with VMWare in Linux and works like a charm.

I haven't tried much, since it should work like it is because it is working with Linux.

Any ideas?

I'm new at Linux, so this may not be correct..I'll be doing a dual-boot Linux/x64 system next week actually. I thought it works best if Windows is installed first then install Linux on top of that? It gets confusing about whether you should use the Windows boot file or the Linux (Grub?) boot file.

There is a thread here all about Linux, do a quick search and it may have your answer. :)

But if you notice, this doesn't really have anything to do with Linux. I took that disk out and I'm installing Windows XP in a brand new disk, alone.

This way I'll get GRUB right later, when XP gets installed into its own disk. I know the drill, I might even tell you the grub config if you like...

Alex

Sorry, its late...

Anyways, a couple things you could check..

Might as well run chkdsk on the drive to ensure it isn't fauly, its unlikely but you never know.

Double check that your ram can go through a few passes of tests 5 and 8 in memtest to ensure that has been stabiized no problem.

Try other SATA ports, and make sure there is a good connection on each end. Doesn't hurt to try.

Do you have a non-slipstreamed version of windows? Go ahead and give it a shot. Most people say that having the slipstreamed install is better but from my experience there is little to no difference.

Did you do a complte (slow) format of the drive?

All I can think of right now, sorry. Hopefully its something simple like one of those...