Sign in to follow this  
ghettotech

939 3400+ newcastle vs Opteron 148?

....3500+ (2.2) title wrong

Does anyone have a good idea what a 939 3500+ Newcastle can do with air cooling? Its not for me. A friend of mine was thinking of getting a 148 opteron but wanted to see what the posibilities were for his CPU. Since it was the same clock speed as the opteron I wasnt sure of the benefits (besides a higher clock) But i wasnt sure about heat since it was a newcaste and might take more voltage. He is running a Ultra-D and Corsair 2x1gb XMS twin.

Any opions welcome.

Thanks

Ghetto

Guest InFeKtioN

My 3500+ Newcastle doesnt OC too bad..... I can run it @ 2597 prime for at least 6 hours.

But the memory controler on it SUX ! It will NOT do more than 2 sticks of anything @ more than 333mhz. at least mine wouldnt !!!!!

I used some OCZ 512 Plat Rev 2 (4x51) also some kingston and corsair....... and it would not do 1 pass (#5) of memtest without errors, unless I was 333 or less !

It Runs 2 sticks fine.......even 2x1gig........

If I had to pick between the 2 (148 or 3500) I picked the 148.... no doubt !!!!!

but its all about the $$$ tho ..... huh ? lol

Thanks for the info ....he already has the 3500+ though

He was thinking of buying one but i told him he might want to look into OCing his 3500 first.

My 3500+ Newcastle doesnt OC too bad..... I can run it @ 2597 prime for at least 6 hours.

But the memory controler on it SUX ! It will NOT do more than 2 sticks of anything @ more than 333mhz. at least mine wouldnt !!!!!

I used some OCZ 512 Plat Rev 2 (4x51) also some kingston and corsair....... and it would not do 1 pass (#5) of memtest without errors, unless I was 333 or less !

It Runs 2 sticks fine.......even 2x1gig........

If I had to pick between the 2 (148 or 3500) I picked the 148.... no doubt !!!!!

but its all about the $$$ tho ..... huh ? lol

donest overclock bad but opterons overclock better

Guest InFeKtioN
donest overclock bad but opterons overclock better

No Doubt ....... Thats why I said I would take a 148 over the 3500 !

I realize the opteron 148 is better.

but he already has a 3500+

I dont think its worth the upgrade if he can squeeze some outta the 3500+

Overclock the 3500 and see what it does. If it will go 2600 or so don't worry about buying an opty.

so does anyone know

Does anyone have a good idea what a 939 3500+ Newcastle can do with air cooling?

I am not familiar with the newcastles so i dont want to give him bad advice.

Guest cisco kid

gow ith the opty 148 I just sold a 148 cabye o542 fpmw that was solid at 2.9 and I know would do 3.0 on air. I shipped it off to South Korea for 325US, the chip flat out rocked