Sign in to follow this  
ryankenn

Opteron 165 / DFI SLI-DR / Thermalright HR-01 w/fan OC Problems

This is a mini short review with some questions.

The HR-01 seems to be absolutly awesome, either that, or I have a really cool running 165. At 1.42V core and 2.61Ghz the CPU never exceeds 50C with two instances of Prime running. The problem I'm having is that the PWMIC temps are very high ( compared to idle ) and I usually shut it down around 58C reported in Smartguardian.

The PWMIC temps are always the highest of the three, is this normal? I also noticed that my OCZ Platinum EL Rev 2 PC3200 won't run up past 230Mhz at any voltatge. Right now my SATA drives are in the Nvidia ports 1-2. From what I've read sometimes those are unlocked, does anyone know if this is true?

From there, is just back to 3x HTT, and put a divider to keep the RAM around 220Mhz and kept turning it up, but I don't want to let it sit overnight with those PWM temps so high.

The heatsink has a 90mm fan attachned directly to its side, and within 5 seconds of stopping those double instances, the temp is back to 30C.

Heres a screenshot showing the inital tests, but note the high PWM temp. I'm not sure how to lower this.

2610ghz2cb.th.jpg

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated if you have experience with this MB. The stepping is 0550 UPMW, which NCIX still has stock of in OEM form. When I bought this CPU I checked 5 they had, all 5 were the same code. NICE!

I backed it down to 285 FSB and ran it overnight with one instance of Prime and Pi running and it lasted fine with PWM temps hovering around 57C.

I had a couple of thoughts overnight. First, until my Ultra-X 20 pin to 24 pin cable shows up, I'm running a 20pin ATX connector on the board, leaving four spots unoccupied. I don't know if this puts additional strees on certain PWM's but I thought I'd mention it.

Second, being an electrical technologist, I got to thinking that if the CPU temps are so reasonable that I might be better off raising the CPU voltage some to reduce the current through the power circuits. The total power dissipated in the chip will remain the same, but the current flow through the onboard IC's would be reduced. I may give it a try this afternoon to see if it makes any difference.

Ryan

First i would like to tell you that you should never trust what a software tells you about anything. Why don't you try installing MBM to see if the Power Regulator temps are still the same. About that PSU that you ordered, not a wise choice since they are really bad PSU specially for that mobo you have, good luck!

Is the PSU just not capable of handling what I've got? Its ratings seem fine and I have the ability to plug in all the power points ( the 24 Pin ATX connector being the only one not plugged in fully, but I've ordered that cable and its on its way ), so why would this effect the performance? Every review I've read on the Ultra-X's are good, stable voltages and capable of the power its advertised for.

I'll give MBM a try, as for heatsinks, I think all the PWM's on this board come with heatsinks from DFI already?

The HR-01 seems to be absolutly awesome, either that, or I have a really cool running 165.

Hey ryankenn, I just would like to know if the base of your HR-01 cover all your Opteron, I ask you this because acutally I use my old Heatsink a SI 97A and the base doesn't cover all my opteron so the idle temperature is near 43°C .

Otherwise I would like to know if u have used your HR-01 with the fan duct on a 12mm Fan.

Thanks to you!

Is the PSU just not capable of handling what I've got? ....

No, it's not.

I had the exact same PSU on the table, then saw an ad for there 620W (I think - 600W plus for sure) and grabbed one.

Now two Ultra's on the table and I got word from RGone about all the problems these are causing.

On his recomendation I returned both Ultras and bought the PSU in my sig.

Never been sorry on any count.

You can find 'em for about $70 and there modular and quiet.

Even come with a front temp readout and control for a case fan.

Also, PLEASE make up a sig with all your stuff so we can ckeck it out easier.

Good Luck

PS

Jab-Tech

xPCgear

xOxide

poulpii, you need to sort out your temperature then.

I guess that you will be hitting way over 50 degrees at load, and that will kill your cpu.

Maybe you should invest in a better cooler.

Guest striker

i have that ram, i have taken it up to 300mhz @ 3-4-4-8. don't push it past 2.9V. it should do 250 ish @ 2.5-3-3-7.

i have that ram, i have taken it up to 300mhz @ 3-4-4-8. don't push it past 2.9V. it should do 250 ish @ 2.5-3-3-7.

Do u have a NF3 Ultra D ? me I can't have stable system over FSB 250 !!

Do u have a NF3 Ultra D ? me I can't have stable system over FSB 250 !!

I have finally find the way to reach a fsb at 300MHZ by changing the Memclock