Power on problems pertaining to RAM & IDE

A couple days ago I came home from my until now 3 months stable rig to find that one of my optical drives wasn't showing in My Computer, and the other one would not read. Upon reboot the system hanged completely on detecting IDE drives. I powered off to check things out, seemed ok (I may have reset CMOS at this point but don't remember), and then the computer wouldn't power back on at all.

At this point the obvious response was to unhook all my IDE drives, and now it would intermittently power on. Sometimes it didn't respond, sometimes I had to hold the button down a long butt time, sometimes I had to reset the CMOS... Anyway I didn't have time to deal with it then, so I got it to boot and just ran on my SATA boot drive for the weekend.

Today I fiddled with it some more and got to the point where it won't boot w/ more than one stick of ram in it. If there are two sticks, the standby power and dram power lights blink and it will not power on. With one stick they will be solid (usually, but always after resetting cmos) and it will power on.

More inspection... I realized I never connected the FDD power connector to the board. I connected this (huge pita on my case), and it would now boot with both sticks. Power down, reconnect all IDE cables, boots but my Plex isn't detected. Power off, check case, realized cable was loose, connected it... back to blinking lights and no power again, with one or two sticks of ram.

In my current state I can only get it working with one stick of ram, and the HDD and Toshiba connected.

Help?

The HDD and FDD connectors on the board... can they be off the same cord, or do I need to run 2 seperate cords off the PSU to each one?

Even though the leads all run back to the PSU, I always configure my DFI nF4 power setup with the 4pin floppy and 4pin molex on separate leads with no other devices attached. This can be rather inconvenient if your PSU only has a single 4pin floppy connector like most modern power supplies.

I buy 4pin molex to two 4pin floppy adapters so I can setup the floppy drive on a regular molex that powers the optical drives. It's very easy to hide the adapter in just about any open space so it doesn't clutter up the install.