:: LAN Party UT SLI-DR FanCooler Chipset Mod ::

Guest zoo_merged

I changed the stock fancooler fo the Mobo for a ICEBERQ4 and the temps drops 6 and 7ºC :D. Check the pics:

**Stock FANCOOLER:

tempsantes8lz.th.jpg

**ICEBERD 4 mod Fancooler:

tempsdespues6hv.th.jpg

modiceberq40018ax.th.jpg modiceberq40024ln.th.jpg modiceberq40045wq.th.jpg

Nice.

I have the same heatsink, but I removed the top cover so a video card on top could fit with out touching/pressing it.

I have a Stacker case with the XFlow fan installed and also watercooling CPU and both video cards (GPU + RAM + VReg) and the chipset temperature stays at mid/high 30's. Could be the extreme ventilation of this case.

I was wondering which model cooler this was.

I see 2 versions for sale at SVC.

One has a higher CFM rating. Hopefully that is the one that fits underneath the video card.

There are actually three Vantec chipset/vga coolers available, no they are actually four: the two chipset heatsinks, with no Led lights, that come in aluminum and copper, and the two IceberQ 4 which are nearly identical except for their size: IceberQ 4 is for ATI cards while the IceberQ 4 Pro is for nVidia cards.

The one in the pics, and also the one I used, is the IceberQ 4 or the smaller of the two IceberQs. It fits in the DFI board with just one or two small modifications. The other one, the IceberQ 4 Pro, is bigger and I think harder to fit in the motherboard; I saw another thread about someone doing this and the heatsink required a lot more modifications.

I guess the higher CFM rating corresponds to this bigger IceberQ 4 Pro... but IMO being made of copper gives it a very small air velocity requirement, mine doesn't even come near 40° C at load (3d game).

Also I removed the pastic cover, the one that says ICEBERQ 4, and the unit actually looks better IMO. The tolerance between video card and heatsink with this cover was negative, it touched it and actually pushed the heatsink down... while with out it there is enough gap between the two things to fit the plastic ram package (hehe, have one right here).

I actually already have the Vantec CCB-A1C but it barely made a difference.

I was hoping the Iceberg or the Evercool VC-CE would lower my temps.

Currently I hit 61C at load. Idle is around 52C.

I'd have some temp like yours before with the original mobo cooling system. But with this ICEBERQ 4 gotta a big different.

I am not sure about that... I would try also better ventilation, maybe a new case.

I have the IceberQ 4 and the temperature never reach 40º C with 22º C room temperature, however I have a Stacker case with the XFlow fan and I think these two make the whole diference; before I had a Xaser3 aluminum and the temperature was in mid 60's, then mid 50's with a blower fan pointing directly towards the chipset intake.

I have a Stacker case with the XFlow fan and I think these two make the whole diference; before I had a Xaser3 aluminum and the temperature was in mid 60's, then mid 50's with a blower fan pointing directly towards the chipset intake.

I agree, case and air flow can make a big difference. When I built my new system I was using an Antec P180. Idle temps were in the high 40's to low 50's, and load temps were pushing the 60 mark. I moved everything to the Stacker 830 (four Cooler Master fans installed, 3 intake and 1 exhaust), as well as changed the chipset and graphics card coolers, and now idle temps are in the low to mid 30's, while load temps are usually in the high 30's to low 40's. The ambient temp here is usually around 19c. Only the graphics card still gets kind of high, but at least it's a lot quieter than when it had the stock cooler on it. The great thing is that even though the Antec case was made specifically for quietness (which I think didn't help temps much), my Stacker is just as quiet, if not more so despite all that open mesh. There is still some minor bearing noise from the Evercool VC-RE that I'm trying to fix, but otherwise I'm very happy. I think it's something specific to my ears regarding the bearing at low speed that I dislike as I own two of them and both have it. Not sure I could do any better if I were to switch from air to water to be honest though.

You would do better, believe me :)

Its all about what you cool down with water and what do you intend to do with your system. If you run your Toledo at 2.58 ghz 24/7 with air I believe you would be able to do the same with water at 2.65 ghz... maybe.

I was able to run my 3700+ SD at 2.9 ghz all the time, and then overclock it to 3.02 ghz when I felt nuts doing benchmarks. I think with this kind of idea water can be a thing in favor, it also depends on the water components.

If you run your Toledo at 2.58 ghz 24/7 with air I believe you would be able to do the same with water at 2.65 ghz... maybe.

Hmm, for some odd reason that's something I had not considered. I do run at 2.58 GHz 24/7 rock solid actually, and have been since I built this system back in November. Stock voltages are all that are needed on everything too, which probably explains partly why temps were so easy to tame. As far as I can recall, I can't go any higher without increasing voltages, and that's when temps really jump up quick. It's why I kind of accepted 2.58 GHz and left it at that after getting things Prime95 and MemTest stable. I've been more than happy with it's gaming performance overall, but this was all with the Antec P180 case though, so now you have me curious if I can do better now that things are running a lot cooler in my Stacker. Hmm, well I think I am going to stay up late and do some research into water cooling tonight. Hehe, my wife isn't going to like you very much lol. ;)

Good point, I don't think you require more overclock... but trying to look for the maximum of that Toledo could be an interesting task :)

I can just tell you that my 3700+ @ 2.9 ghz felt as fast as this Opteron 175 at 2.75 ghz, perhaps the Opteron is faster... it feels faster, and thats with single core games like Battlefield 2; I am starting to play Quake4 and FEAR again, since I didn't even finish them and with these and the latest patch they are a lot faster with the dual core. So, 2.58ghz might be just perfect... messing with it trying to find more speed might not be a good idea.

Good luck

Good point, I don't think you require more overclock... but trying to look for the maximum of that Toledo could be an interesting task :)

When I chose my CPU, my goal was to hit a 5000+ performance rating or there abouts, and if I couldn't get much of an overclock, at least I'd have a CPU that I would not be unhappy with. I think I've exceeded my expectations of it already, though I'm sure I could squeeze a little bit more out of it no doubt. Gaming has been fine, and dual cores have been one of the best things about it actually, so again, I'm happy. Water cooling might be a moot point though. I really want to go SLI with two 7900GTX cards in the near future, and from what I've been reading this means a lot of heat to deal wth, more than fans alone will likely be able to handle efficiently. What would you recommend? I figure, in for a penny, in for a pound. If I do go water, might as well cool it all lol. ;)

PS: Sorry to the original topic starter. Hope we didn't hi-jack your thread on you. :O