Sign in to follow this  
adam.s

4x 512MB RAM sticks - will they downclock?

If I add another 2x 512MB to this system (I already have these OCZ sticks: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...CZ%20Technology, going to get two more to have 4x 512MB) will I experience the downclocking to 333 MHz that I've been reading about online?

I haven't opened the second pack of RAM yet, so they can still be returned if I find out this isn't a good idea.

Thanks.

They should auto downclock to 333DDR since that is the spec for the memory controller in the cpu. Whether or not you can upclock manually in bios is not known. Maybe or maybe not.

2x1gig is far easier to use and tune and the price for the Ocz kits at 2x1gig kit size are not much greater on selling sites I visit. Then you get 1T with only 2x1gig as well if that means anything to you.

RGone...

Yeah I guess 2x 1GB just really isn't an option at this point. I picked up the 2x512 MB thinking that it'd do for a while, but turns out a few games are quite demanding w/ RAM. Either that, or I have to find a way to easily sell the RAM I have and go with the 2x 1GB.

The headache of trying to tune 4x512 is not worth it! I had massive amounts of trouble getting 4x512 to work, and booting into windows @ 200Mhz was nearly impossible. Installing windows certainly never happened.

Ok, thanks for all the advice. I'll return the additional 2x512MB and re-evaluate what I want to do with this system.

Thanks,

Adam.