Sign in to follow this  
lwlam

AMD64 x2 3800+ OC acting funny/ usual...

So I set up my new rig over the weekend. Everything is working fine. System is stable (two instances of Prime95 ran for 12 hours before I turned it off). Everything is stock specs except for HTT/FSB frequency. I changed it to 235Mhz. Everything else (clocks and voltages) are unchanged.

So I proceed to isolate and identify the maximums for each area with

1. LDT/FSB multiplier to 3x

2. FSB frequency multiplier to 1/02 (100Mhz)

3. CPU/ FSB ratio to 10x

4. HTT/ FSB frequency to 235

Everything ran fine. Everything is stable.

Without changing anything else, I changed HTT/ FSB freq. to 236 and the system will not POST. It stops at the same point everytime and restarts: immediately after the PCI device check just before "DMI pool okay". When HTT/ FSB is 235, it boots into Windows and is stable. At 236 or higher, it will not get to "DMI POOL" blah blah blah...

I then kept all things the same but tried to increase voltage to the CPU. I increased it to 1.582v using a combination of the CPU VID (1.4v) and CPU VID Special (113%). Same result: got past PCI devices detected, then restart just before the "DMI POOL" message.

Does this indicate the max HTT/ FSB frequency for my chip? I thought that when I got to the limit, I would at least be able to boot Windows and then the system would crash.

All input or suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks.

Your psu could be the issue - do some research on that.

also you could try putting your memory on a divider - i doubt if your cpu is your limiting factor here most likely memory and or psu

:)

i too think it mayb be the psu unit. explains why running stock all is stable, and with that little oc it should at least boot into windows.

Aside from replacing the PSU, is there another way to test whether it is the culprit?

Thank you again.

Lester

Your psu could be the issue - do some research on that.

also you could try putting your memory on a divider - i doubt if your cpu is your limiting factor here most likely memory and or psu

:)

430 Watt PSU for an Overclocked Dual Core CPU and Geforce 7800gtx that is also probably overclocked?? hehehe I'm amazed you even got past 220HTT

Your PSU surely ran out of 12V Ampères.....which is what feeds your dual core proc and Video card....

I have a 7800GT (not GTX). Does that make a difference? If not, then the consensus would be that the PSU is underpowered.

So then how about a Powerstream 520W? Will that do?

Thanks again.

Lester

430 Watt PSU for an Overclocked Dual Core CPU and Geforce 7800gtx that is also probably overclocked?? hehehe I'm amazed you even got past 220HTT

Your PSU surely ran out of 12V Ampères.....which is what feeds your dual core proc and Video card....

go with a new PSU, something with at least 32-34a on the +12v rail. Also, if your ram timings are not correct, it will stop just before DMI POOL and reboot, every time. Loosen your timings a bit and keep trying.

Also, you may want to make a smaller sig pic. The mods are going to give you hell for that one!!! trust me!

CJ

Thanks for the advice. I am ordering a OCZ Powerstream 520w today. Hopefully that will alleviate the problem.

When I get home this weekend, I'll check the timings on the RAM. They are all on AUTO right now. But it is exactly at the point you describe where the POST fails. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Question: Would RAM timiing be the issue even if I backed off the RAM multiplier to 1/02?

Thanks.

go with a new PSU, something with at least 32-34a on the +12v rail. Also, if your ram timings are not correct, it will stop just before DMI POOL and reboot, every time. Loosen your timings a bit and keep trying.

Also, you may want to make a smaller sig pic. The mods are going to give you hell for that one!!! trust me!

CJ

And I took your advice on the signature. Thanks again!

CJ

And I took your advice on the signature. Thanks again!

what kind of ram is that you are running? whats it's SPD timings? Are you running the ram 1:1? You can always run the lowest divider to take the ram out of the question. The proper way to find your highest overclock is to put your ram on the lowest divider, to single out the CPU, then work from there to find your max CPU speed, then, put the CPU on a lower multi(underclock) and start working on your ram overclock. Once you find the two, you then blend to get your optimum set-up. Give the overclock guide a look and also post up all of your timing (CPU and DRAM) and let's see what we can do to help with your overclock.

CJ